Assistant /Chief Engineer
The Assistant/ Chief Engineer is a supervisory position based at the Baghdad Diplomatic Support Center (BDSC) in Iraq. The Assistant Chief Engineer will take ownership of all generators and associated power generation, transmission and distribution equipment as well as water purification and waste water treatment. This position reports to the BDSC Chief Engineer. The duties and responsibilities listed below are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
- The Assistant /Chief Engineer is responsible for overseeing the prime power and life support utilities programs and will be regarded as PAE’s professional authority on all engineering questions related to operations within this compound.
- The Assistant/ Chief Engineer provides daily work assignments and supervises Power Generator Mechanics and Operators.
- The Assistant/ Chief Engineer will be responsible to oversee the:
- Operation, calibration, diagnostics, troubleshooting, and repairs to all mechanical, electrical equipment systems and electrical/pneumatic control systems
- The preventive maintenance, condition monitoring, repair, installation and modernization of all power generation, transmission and distribution equipment on the BDSC compound:
- The113 prime power generators made by Aggreko, Aggrko, Aksa, Caterpillar, Cummins, Ghapdar, Honda, Indeks, Perkins, Wilson and other manufacturers with outputs rangingfrom 20 kW up to 1600 kW.
- The Assistant/ Chief Engineer also has the same responsibility to supervise and oversee the operations of the water treatment and waste water treatment plants to include all pumping, filtering, piping and control systems.
- The Assistant/ Chief Engineer:
- Assumes the duties and responsibilities of the Chief Engineer when required
- Reports any malfunctions or lack of compliance with Statement of Work (SOW) to the Chief Engineer.
- Performs scheduled and unscheduled inspections.
- Assists in developingthe Statement of Work (SOW) when requested including diagrams and specifications in compliance with OSHA and National Electric Code (NEC) standards.
- Maintains effective, timely and respectful communication and interaction with the Chief Engineer, other employees, managers, and supports other organizations.
- Performs other administrative tasks including material ordering, inventory, work scheduling
- Collects, analyzes and summarizes data for report preparation and submits written reports Maintains the appropriate technical library and record-keeping which documents all procedures necessary to accomplish assigned responsibilities
- Is responsible for facility custodianship of work area and management of tools, equipment and spare parts.
- Must be able to take initiative to analyze a situation and to make frequent technical decisions based on specifications, safety and electrical codes.
- Must be able to evaluate operational effectiveness and develop/maintain effective operational control mechanisms.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
The Assistant/ Chief Engineer will have the equivalency of three years’ experience in operations and maintenance of a large plant, facility, base or municipality; with specific experience in the operation of power plants, emergency generator operations, physical plants, building operations and associated life support systems..
The Assistant /Chief Engineer shall also have a minimum of 2 years management experience overseeing large facility preventive maintenance programs supervising a workforce of 15 or more personnel in an overseas setting.
- Knowledge of applicable U.S. Codes and accepted trade practices.
- Knowledge and experience regarding occupational hazards of the electrical and mechanical trades, related safety precautions and considerable skill required for the installation, maintenance and repair of power generation and water/waste water treatment systems and equipment.
- Must have good organizational and communication skills with the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently.
- Education: A high school diploma or equivalent education is required. The Assistant Chief Engineer must have competent knowledge relating to power plant and central plant operations. Technical school or acceptable prime power certified generator school is preferred.
- Security Vetting: Must possess an active DOD or DOS clearance (minimum Secret, or higher as required by the position). Must maintain eligibility at the required security level for the duration of the contract.
- Language Skills: Strong professional English communication skills, both oral and written.
- Citizenship: US Citizenship is required for this position.
- Medical: Favorable passage of a drug screen and physical examination.
- Driver’s License: Valid Driver’s License from Home of Record (HOR)
- Relevant overseas appliance repair experience
- Experience working with PAE.
- Experience working with SOW, sub-contractors, budgets, estimating, working drawings and as-builts.
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of ALL principles and processes involved in operating and supporting power generation, transition, and distribution as well as water and waste water treatment functions at an overseas facility.
- Ability to interpret architectural, civil, structural, mechanical, electrical, fire system, plumbing diagrams or drawings for large facilities
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing excellent customer services.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment that requires handling multiple tasks at a given time and rapidly adapting to changing priorities and schedules.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity with an international perspective.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Expert computer skills, specifically in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to become an active and functioning member of a team.
- Must have the ability to be innovative and be an agent for change.
- Expert communication skills to facilitate and disseminate information.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. PAE’s hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.
EEO is the Law Poster
About the Organization
PAE is a leading provider of enduring support for the essential missions of the U.S. Government, its allied partners and international organizations. As it enters its 60th year of business, PAE’s current portfolio includes capabilities in critical facility infrastructure, aviation, logistics, training, range operations and national security solutions, to support some of the most meaningful and exciting missions in the world.
Today, the approximately 15,000 members of our global workforce perform with excellence and dedication in roughly 60 countries, on all seven continents, in some of the world's most challenging regions. We attribute our success to the quality of our work and the integrity and high ethical standards that define our business operations. PAE is headquartered in Arlington, Va.