Assistant Consultant, Climate Change and Disaster Risk Portfolio, OPM Islamabad
Oxford Policy Management Limited (OPM) is one of the world’s leading international policy development and management consultancies. We enable strategic decision-makers in the public and private sector to identify and implement sustainable solutions for reducing social and economic disadvantage in low- and middle-income countries. Supported by a multinational team of more than 300 full-time specialists on three continents, our success is based on a unique combination of high-quality analysis and 30 years’ practical experience of facilitating positive change in over 120 countries worldwide. OPM has operated in Pakistan for more than 20 years. Over this period, we’ve addressed a wide range of issues across the policy cycle, from health and public administration reform to public financial management, social protection and microfinance, as well as establishing a leading role in quantitative and qualitative surveys.
OPM Pakistan is seeking to recruit an Assistant Consultant based in the Islamabad office to work in its Climate Change and Disaster Risk portfolio. Successful applicants should expect to provide wide-ranging support to both project acquisition and implementation across the subject areas.
Applicants must have:
- A Master’s degree in Climate Change, Environmental Management, Economics, Public Policy, Social Science, Development Studies or a related field;
- 3 to 5 years relevant work experience
- Strong analytical skills;
- Project management skills;
- Strong and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- The ability to manage multiple deadlines;
- An awareness of and enthusiasm for issues relating to Climate Change and Disaster Risk response; and
- Fluency in Urdu and English.
- Contribute to the growth of the teams’ and the Company’s consultancy business.
- To assist in the development of solutions to client problems and provide technical and administrative support to projects dealing with Climate Change and Disaster Risk Management.
- To work under the overall direction of the relevant programme director or portfolio leader and under the day-to-day supervision of project managers as required, in accordance with an agreed annual performance agreement including associated financial and other targets.
As assigned by or agreed with the portfolio leader:
- Support delivery of technical work on OPM consulting and other projects in support of developing country governments and international aid agencies, in accordance with required delivery deadlines and OPM quality and report writing standards.
- Prepare expressions of interest and proposals for new work opportunities.
- Work in close collaboration with other portfolios in the Pakistan team and contribute towards business development in Pakistan.
- Take an active role in exploring and developing new areas of work and new relationships.
- Develop strong and effective working relationships with all other members of the portfolio, Programme and other OPM colleagues.
- Participate, through programme meetings and by other means, in the general development of the work of the Portfolio, the Programme and the Company in general.
- Take a proactive approach to on- and off-job personal and career development by working on projects in other OPM portfolio areas, keeping abreast of latest developments within the Portfolio and taking opportunities to attend training events as appropriate.
- Prepare reports in line with the terms of reference for particular projects.
- Proof-read, format and edit reports.
- Organise workshops and other events related to project activities.
- Comply with all internal policies processes and procedures including financial management systems.
- Undertake other duties reasonably required by the portfolio leader, country director and programme director.
Desirable Skills and Experiences
- Prior work experience of climate change and/or disaster risk policy, while not necessary will be a plus.
- Experience of working with government officials and international agencies is a positive.
- Experience of project management highly desirable.
- Ability to multi-task well and manage multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Detail oriented.
About the Organization
Oxford Policy Management (OPM) enables strategic decision-makers to reduce social and economic disadvantage in low- and middle-income countries through a unique combination of high-quality analysis and more than 35 years’ practical experience in over 120 countries worldwide.
Supported by a multinational team of more than 400 specialists on four continents, our success is based on a unique combination of high-quality analysis and 30 years’ practical experience of facilitating positive change in over 120 countries worldwide. OPM’s expertise, which is underpinned by a strong commitment to capacity building, ranges from social and economic policy to public finance and management, political economy analysis and statistics.
Clients range from bilateral and multilateral organisations such as DFID, UNICEF and the World Bank through to governments, NGOs and private-sector organisations.
With offices in Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Nepal, Pakistan, South Africa, Tanzania and the United Kingdom, we can provide our clients with rapid, local support and context-specific solutions.
If you are interested in opportunities at Oxford Policy Management, please see our careers page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s it like working at OPM, and why should you join our growing global organisation? Watch this video to see what our colleagues have to say.