Requisition ID: req2276
Job Title: Assistant Finance Controller
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
The Ministry of Health (MoH) of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) declared an outbreak of Ebola (Ebola Virus Disease - EVD) in the Bikoro health zone of Equateur Province, northwest DRC on 8 May 2018. This represents the ninth outbreak of the disease in the DRC over the past 40 years, with the most recent previous outbreak in May 2017. The first Ebola cases were focused in the remote Ikoko Impenge community near Bikoro. This raised hopes that the outbreak could be contained - as previous ones have been. However, by 16 May the outbreak had spread to Equateur’s capital city, Mbandaka, which is home to an estimated 1.2 million people. It is a transit center, which has direct transport links to Kinshasa via both airport and a port on the Congo river, and to Brazzaville via the Congo River. The Ubangi river, which represents the border with CAR, could also allow the outbreak to spread internationally as individuals cross the river border on a regular basis. As of 1 July it appears the outbreak is cooling down
Initially the IRC mounted an emergency response to the Equateur outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease. The team includes health and WASH staff specialized in clinical care, infection prevention and control, and medical logistics, as well as operations support staff, supported as needed by the IRC’s existing Country Program broader infrastructure. In the post-outbreak phase, the team’s work is focused on institutionalizing the use of improved infection-prevention practices in the 15 priority health facilities being supported by the IRC.
SCOPE OF WORK
The ERT Assistant Financial Controller will be deployed to DRC to support the Equateur Ebola Response. The Assistant Finance Controller will report to ERT Finance Controller and work collaboratively with the Logistics and other staff members of the team.
Supporting EVD Program:
* Coordinate and track payment requests that needs to be paid by the country office or by HQ,
* Ensure enough cash is available all times in Mbandaka bank Account to disburse vendor payments, also coordinate/facilitate smooth transfer of funds from Kinshasa office to Mbandaka office.
* Mark all EVD payments released by IRC in the online BVA system, and ensure only valid commitments are appearing in the BVA system.
* Provide finance and SUN/Q&A training to EVD national Finance Staff newly hired.
* Assist in preparing donors’ financial reports, and responds to the questions of Program, Grants, and Country office Finance staff, etc.
* Perform other duties, as necessary or requested by ERT Finance Controller.
Supporting Country Office:
* Prepare Monthly Journals of SPC, Expat & National payrolls, Pre-payments etc.
* Coordinate with Kalemie Finance Officer to complete the month end process and share the cash book journal with Accountant.
* Work with field Finance Managers to provide any financial information requested by Internal Auditors.
* Work with Kinshasa Finance Officer to gather supporting documents for ES100 audit.
* Work with Goma Senior Finance Manager to ensure GC004 invoices are ready for submission by June 20th and ensure all supporting documents are available in country.
* Complete the budget realignment for OD105.
* Ensure donor reports are prepared and submitted on time.
* Review financial documents as per AFC limit.
* Coordinate with Finance Managers to ensure they mark as “paid” in the online BVA, every time a payment is made.
* Work with Kinshasa Finance Officer to ensure that all invoices due to Soficom are paid within 24 hours of invoice reception.
* Perform other duties, as necessary or requested by Senior Finance Controller.
* Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Commerce, Economics or Business Studies.
* Minimum 5 years’ experience in financial management with INGOs, with at least two years at supervisor level.
* IRC experience preferred
* Fluency in French and English, spoken and written, is essential.
* Experience of managing large donor projects.
* Knowledge of computerized accounting software, preferably SUN System and high-level/advanced Excel.
* Prior working experience with international donor funded organizations (USAID, OFDA, ECHO, DFID, SIDA, UNICEF, UNDP, etc.).
* Good communicator with strong organizational, time management and analytical skills;
* Excellent inter-personal, cultural and diplomatic skills and report writing skills;
* Ability to juggle competing priorities, meet demanding deadlines and work under pressure in unstable security environments;
* Able to work with limited supervision, be flexible and comfortable in a multi-cultural work force and work under pressure and challenging conditions.
* Willingness to visits field offices and travels to project sites.
Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo - - DR Congo