Toronto, with regular travel to War Child Canada’s countries of operation
Reports to the Director, International Programs
Fixed term contract, 13 months: March 15th 2018 to April 15th 2019
The Associate Director provides leadership and oversight in the design, development and implementation of War Child Canada programs. The position actively contributes to the growth strategy and direction of the International Programs head office and country teams with an emphasis on program design, revenue generation with institutional donors, managing growth and team leadership. This position is responsible for key functions within the international programs team, which include donor and strategic development, program development, program management and staff management.
DONOR AND NEW BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT (40%)
· Lead the development of donor and new business strategies in accordance with War Child Canada’s revenue generation targets and Country Strategic Plans, includes oversight of research into institutional donor priorities and criteria.
· Lead role in writing multi-year, multi-sector programmatic proposals (including Global Affairs Canada, US Government, European Commission, UN, institutional foundations) in collaboration with a wide variety of stakeholders that include War Child Canada headquarters staff, country staff, technical consultants and other partner organizations.
· Identifies and develops consortium projects with Canadian and international partner organizations.
· Collaborate with Country Directors and Senior Management Teams to develop long term growth strategies for Country Programs.
· Oversees the development of detailed funding proposals, liaising with donors as required.
· Co-ordinates the International Program Department’s efforts to assist with formal pitches and proposals to major donors, corporations and unrestricted foundations
PROGRAM DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT (30%)
· Oversees the development of new programs and projects by country and head-office staff, in liaison with external technical consultants as needed.
· Strengthen organizational capacity to effectively design and develop programs, building capacities within the Head of Program team
· Facilitates opportunities for learning and knowledge sharing across the organization, ensuring program results and lessons learnt informs future program design.
PROGRAM OVERSIGHT (20%)
· Provides leadership, oversight and guidance to the International Program team on program strategy, direction and implementation of programs, in conjunction with the Director, International Programs.
· Ensures program compliance with donor management standards including oversight of program narrative reporting.
· Strengthens programming to meet minimum quality standards, in alignment with externally recognized best practices and standards.
· Provides oversight in the management and development of donor relationships and overall donor development strategies.
· Oversees the management and implementation of all monitoring and evaluation systems.
STAFF MANAGEMENT (10%)
· Provides direct line supervision and support to staff or consultants as required.
· Assists in recruitment of head office and expatriate country staff.
· Provides support, mentoring and training to head office and country staff as required.
· Master’s Degree or equivalent in International Development, Social Sciences, Education, or related subject
· Minimum 7-8 years senior management experience.
· Demonstrated track record of securing significant new business from institutional donors
· Demonstrated experience of implementing fundraising strategies and conducting donor engagement
· Knowledge of at least one of War Child Canada’s programming focal areas.
· Experience of project and HR management.
· Experience of working in conflict settings.
Skills and abilities
· Fluency in written and verbal English. French an asset.
· A high level of writing skill and ability.
· Demonstrated leadership abilities.
· Detail oriented, strong organizational, analytical and strategic planning skills.
· Effective time-management skills with the ability to multi-task and manage multiple time-sensitive priorities.
· Self-starter, able to work with a high degree of initiative and highly resilient
· Team oriented with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals from a range of backgrounds.
· Able to work sensitively in challenging and insecure environments.
A highly competitive compensation package will be provided, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
INTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE INVITED TO SEND A CURRICULUM VITAE AND AN ACCOMPANYING COVER LETTER ELECTRONICALLY TO:
Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of ‘Associate Director – [insert your name]’
Applications will be received and reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be notified. No phone calls please.
War Child Canada is committed to providing a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Final candidates will be vetted in accordance with War Child Canada’s Child Protection Policy, including appropriate reference and security checks.
War Child Canada is committed to providing an accessible workplace. For individuals with disabilities, accommodation is available upon request. Should you require accommodation at any stage of the selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs.
Candidates should be legally entitled to work in Canada. War Child Canada will not provide relocation support.
For more information about War Child Canada, please visit www.warchild.ca