Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is seeking an Associate Director - Market Systems Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL).
This position will be based at our Administrative Headquarters, located in Atlanta, Georgia, and will required 40% travel.
Habitat for Humanity International seeks a dynamic Associate Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) to advance the Terwilliger Center for Innovation in Shelter’s work to catalyze thriving and inclusive housing markets. As a part of Habitat for Humanity’s MEAL team, s/he will be responsible for developing and implementing a global, standardized system for MEAL, based on the Donor Committee for Enterprise Development (DCED) standard for monitoring and results measurement, which will be used by all of the Terwilliger Center’s country programming.
We are seeking a self-starter with a passion for research and learning. S/he will demonstrate creativity in designing practical and useful MEAL systems, and a willingness to test new ideas and iterate. This role is ideal for someone strong in cross-cultural communications, able to communicate effectively with team members of varied experiences and work styles, and with a good sense of humor. We are seeking an individual who is flexible and patient in navigating a complex matrix environment and a multi-tasker with the proven ability to balance competing priorities and meet deadlines. This position will report to Habitat for Humanity’s Director of Global MEAL, and coordinate closely with the Terwilliger Center’s Director of Research and Thought Leadership, and will work across the Terwilliger Center’s multiple practice areas and geographical regions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work cross-functionally with the Terwilliger Center’s market systems, financial inclusion / capital markets and impact investing practice areas and with HFHI’s program.
- Work cross-functionally with the Terwilliger Center’s market systems, financial inclusion / capital markets and impact investing practice areas and with HFHI’s program effectiveness teams to identify appropriate MEAL strategies and develop an overarching strategy that advances the Terwilliger Center’s programming in all its countries.
- Design and manage a results measurement and communications system at the global level for all Terwilliger Center programming, in accordance with the DCED guidelines for results measurement.
- Plan, coordinate and lead prioritized MEAL efforts. Advise country and regional teams on active implementation of MEAL.
- Support, train, and mentor Terwilliger Center and Habitat for Humanity staff to build skills in MEAL.
- Provide technical advice and feedback in the development of MEAL activities, including reviewing specific terms of reference, tools, methods, approaches, and support in data analysis.
- Plan and lead the design of impact evaluations of key Terwilliger Center programs.
- Ensure MEAL information is analyzed and used for decision-making and learning at the country and global level.
- Foster innovation on MEAL within the Terwilliger Center and Habitat for Humanity by engaging staff through virtual and in-person training.
- Work across Terwilliger Center’s practice areas and geographical territories to understand MEAL needs.
- Actively cultivate and maintain a network of, and manage external MEAL consultants (independent as well as organizations) willing to support the Terwilliger Center’s mission.
- Serve as a key agency external focal point on MEAL, representing the Terwilliger Center’s research and knowledge management initiative and key content at major events.
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Master’s degree (M.A, M.S) in evaluation, social sciences, economics or related discipline required.
- 4 to 5 years of demonstrated experience in MEAL.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and networking skills.
- Experience in social science research, monitoring and evaluation, using qualitative and quantitative methods, training others on MEAL and related topics.
- Understanding of the DCED Standard for Results Measurement required, experience using the standard preferred.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with internal and external stakeholders, and to play a leadership role in mobilizing others to adopt new systems and strategies.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate complex, technical content to non-technical audiences, to demonstrate project impact and convey the application of research through relevant mediums.
- Team Collaborator
- Good Stewardship
- LEAN/Continuous Improvement
- Graceful Candor
- Heart for the Mission
- Personal Integrity
- Completed PhD.
- Previous experience with and demonstrated understanding of on the ground work in market-based development.
- Previous experience setting up global MEAL systems.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
About the Organization
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need. HFHI has an Administrative Headquarters based in Atlanta, Georgia, an Operational Headquarters based in Americus, Georgia and Area Office bases of operations in Manila, Philippines for our Asia and the Pacific work, San Jose, Costa Rica for our Latin American and the Caribbean work, and Bratislava, Slovakia, for our Europe, the Middle East and Africa work.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.