The Associate Director, Technical - Laboratory Sciences provides back up and support to the Director position in both administrative and management functions. This will include leading or supporting the conduct of laboratory capacity building and quality programs led by FHI 360. This will include supporting laboratories across the globe as well as governments and their relevant ministries and stakeholders. The position will plan and direct work schedules and work plans and monitor budget/spending as well as leading or assisting with project reporting. The Associate Director will also select, develop and mentor FHI 360 laboratory staff.
Administrative responsibilities include managing assignments, the associated staff, logistics and budgets. The technical responsibilities include working with laboratories, donors and partners to build their capacity to achieve the desired diagnostic goal of individual projects. Laboratories to be supported include those in the public and private human health sector and the animal health sector for some projects.
- Provides technical oversight on one or more laboratory programs as well as laboratory-wide activities.
- With technical oversight, provide technical leadership in design, development, planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of laboratory strengthening activities.
- Contributes and provides support to overall strategic goals of various assigned programs.
- Leads the development of technical assistance, laboratory strengthening and quality assurance/quality control materials and programs.
- Responsible for the planning, conduct, and reporting of assessments, audits, and accreditation-ready inspections laboratories performing services to FHI 360 supported projects.
- In close collaboration with staff and laboratory management lead the follow-up of needed corrective and preventive actions following audits.
- Responsible for developing and implementing continuous improvement initiatives to build laboratory capacity and quality with reference to accepted standards and requirements.
- Provide technical assistance to laboratories as part of overall capacity building and continuous improvement schemes.
- Encourage and assist laboratories with preparing for and seeking accreditation through locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally accepted accreditation agencies.
- Develops laboratory capacity building and Quality Management System tools for enhance laboratory performance and compliance with international standards including ISO 15189 and WHO SLMTA/SLIPTA.
- Coordinates and works with external donors/clients on technical issues and serves as a representative for the organization.
- Develops objectives that align with strategic goals and oversees several projects for technical and compliance standards.
- Directs and mentors staff on various projects to achieve goals and ensure completion of programs on schedule and within budget.
- Coordinates and works with external donors/clients on technical issues and serves as a representative of FHI 360.
- Supports management with recommendations for process improvements to achieve strategic goals.
- Assist with business development including leading capture and proposal development, writing, budgeting and partnering discussions.
- Develop laboratory publications, abstracts, presentations and other communication vehicles.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Provide technical leadership in laboratory quality and quality management systems.
- With technical oversight, provide technical leadership in design, development, planning, implementation; and capacity- building of the laboratory components of projects.
- Responsible for accomplishing assigned job responsibilities, and following the standards and practices of FHI 360 and the Laboratory Sciences Division.
- Responsible for planning and scheduling own work flow and timetables and that of other FHI 360 staff working on laboratory activities.
- Identifies areas for improved efficiency or effectiveness within prescribed parameters, and institutes enhancements to procedures.
- Maintains a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners and the project prime.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs.
- Develops tools for the design and implementation of laboratory capacity building initiatives.
- Ensures that project implementation adheres to accepted international laboratory quality standards.
- Defines and develops solutions for major business or functional challenges.
- Contributes to planning and making recommendations for project, operations, and/or implementation.
- Influences design and scope of initiatives and programs.
- Reviews, analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of projects and makes recommendations for enhancements.
- Develops strategies and tools for the design and implementation of laboratory capacity building components.
- Ensures the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels.
- Represents the organization with external entities at professional meetings and conferences.
- Maintains collaborative relationships with donor/client organizations, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs and consistently maintained and viewed as a knowledgeable resource in their technical area.
- Continually maintain a dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- In-depth functional knowledge of clinical laboratory medicine and laboratory quality management systems and detailed knowledge of related areas in the organization.
- General understanding of the external environment and how it affects laboratory functioning in general and FHI 360, including political, legal, environmental, financial and social influences.
- General understanding of organization’s structure, policies and practices, and the impact on own area.
- Strong diagnostic, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to exchange information, present recommendations and collaborate with colleagues and peers within the organization and externally.
- Ability to influence others of the benefits/importance of an idea or plan of action and to gain their support or commitment.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to reach mutual points of agreement and benefit among peers and colleagues.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent and demonstrated project and technical leadership skills.
- Ability to influence, motivate, and collaborate with others.
- A minimum of a MSc or equivalent in science or public health.
- 8-11 years of experience in clinical laboratory medicine in developing countries with at least five years’ experience in a laboratory quality management role.
- Knowledge and experience in the laboratory diagnosis of infectious diseases including specific hands-on laboratory experience.
- Knowledge and experience with strengthening laboratories to achieve international quality standards including against ISO 15189 and/or SLMTA/SLIPTA.
- Knowledge and experience with managing projects and staff including administrative, financial and operational activities.
- A demonstrated ability to work with multiple partners on collaborative projects.
- A demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relations with host country governments and international organizations, (including senior government officials), and U.S. Government Agencies.
- Up to 50% across the USA, Asia and Africa
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
About FHI 360: FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Associate Director Technical - Laboratory Sciences