Associate Legal Counsel – Private Sector Partnerships
Purpose of the position:
Under the direction of Gavi’s General Counsel, the Associate Legal Counsel provides legal advice in the areas of private sector partnerships and in relation to commercial and programmatic aspects of Gavi’s operations.
Director of Legal/General Counsel
N° of positions supervised:
Career step level:
We commit to fostering a just, equitable and diverse culture free from racism and discrimination in which all staff, partners and stakeholders feel empowered, safe and heard.
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children’s lives and protecting people’s health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together developing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 822 million children and the prevention of more than 14 million future deaths.
Partnership with the private sector has been integral to Gavi’s model since its inception, and we continue to build on this foundation by establishing strategic partnerships with leaders in business and industry. Leveraging the private sector’s financial resources, operational expertise, thought-leadership and innovation helps Gavi deliver on its ambitious coverage and equity goals. From our partnerships through the Matching Fund and Infuse to various operational partnerships, more information can be found at: https://www.gavi.org/investing-gavi/partnering-business.
Associate Legal Counsel – Private Sector Partnerships primarily advises on all contractual arrangements with Gavi’s private sector partners. In addition, the Associate Legal Counsel will also advise on partnerships with other international organisations and sovereigns, and on the implementation of Gavi-funded programmes in select countries, with a view towards greater streamlining and standardisation of Gavi’s contractual relationships.
- Being primarily responsible for drafting and negotiating all types of partnership agreements between Gavi and private sector companies, including creation of template contracts and playbooks, with a view towards standardisation of Gavi’s contractual relationships;
- Ensuring full compliance of private sector partnership agreements with the applicable governance documents and approvals, and proposing improvements to the internal governance processes related to private sector partnerships;
- Delivering internal trainings on key contractual and compliance matters related to private sector partnerships;
- Drafting and negotiating agreements between Gavi and other international organisations, independent contractors and suppliers;
- Preparing or reviewing agreements, including partnership framework agreements, with implementing countries and grant agreements with donor countries, as well as memoranda of understanding, policies, guidelines and proposal documents for Gavi’s support to countries;
- Preparing documents and supporting legal materials for the meetings of Gavi’s Board and its committees;
- Contributing to the knowledge management activities of Gavi’s Legal Team;
- Support the Director of Legal on specific matters as requested.
Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
- A law degree from a leading university;
- Admission to practice law in at least one jurisdiction; professional experience in both civil and common law is an advantage.
- Minimum of 8 years of post-qualification and progressively responsible legal experience in a top-rated law firm and/or as an in-house counsel in the private sector;
- Commercial and transactional experience.
- Experience with commercial contracts and cross-border transactions is essential;
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and maintain focus on priorities;
- Ability to handle pressure and work to challenging deadlines;
- Ability to communicate effectively to a wide variety of audiences both within and outside Gavi;
- Impeccable drafting skills;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills;
- Team player equally able to work autonomously;
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
- Excellent command of the English language, including a demonstrated skill to draft and negotiate contracts in English;
- Ability to work in French is an asset.
- Gavi Secretariat;
- Stakeholders and external partners involved in agreements that Gavi and affiliated entities enter into;
- Outside legal counsel.
If you wish to apply, please provide a cover letter and resume through our Careers webpage and apply by clicking on “Associate Legal Counsel – Private Sector Partnerships”. Application deadline is 19 March 2021.
Become part of our community and join us on Facebook and Twitter for updates about our mission to save children’s lives! You can also follow our hashtag #vaccineswork.
About the Organization
Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance is a public-private partnership committed to saving children's lives and protecting people's health by increasing equitable use of vaccines in lower-income countries. The Vaccine Alliance brings together developing country and donor governments, the World Health Organization, UNICEF, the World Bank, the vaccine industry, technical agencies, civil society, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and other private sector partners. Gavi uses innovative finance mechanisms, including co-financing by recipient countries, to secure sustainable funding and adequate supply of quality vaccines. Since 2000, Gavi has contributed to the immunisation of nearly 822 million children and the prevention of more than 14 million future deaths.