echnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
TechnoServe has assisted over 275,000 smallholder coffee households in East Africa to improve their incomes by increasing the quality of the coffee they produce, boosting their coffee production, and linking them to premium markets. TechnoServe is expanding into other parts of Africa and developing innovative approaches and partnerships with corporations to enable more smallholder coffee households to achieve livelihood security.
The Associate Program Manager’s primary responsibility is to support the implementation of a portfolio of coffee projects in Africa to achieve sound financial management, contractual compliance, and effective administration. The Associate Program Manager will provide a broad range of programmatic, financial, and administrative support to the Regional Coffee Team and field-based program staff to facilitate successful implementation of programs. Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
Financial Management (40%)
- Support field-based program managers to develop annual bottom-up budgets that align strategically with work plans, targets, and deliverables.
- Hold monthly review meetings with field-based program managers to ensure expenditures are maintained on-budget and corrective action or budget revisions occur when variances exceed the donor’s line item flexibility.
- Provide guidance to programs on their teams’ time and expenses charging structure in alignment with the donor budget and the allocation of costs by reporting categories.
- Assist the Coffee Program Manager to develop annual budgets and midyear budget reviews.
- Ensure invoices are submitted accurately and on time and track disbursements as they are paid.
Contractual Compliance - Technical & Financial (25%)
- Ensure 100% contractual compliance for donor projects.
- Manage the Regional Coffee Team’s procurement needs.
- Support budget realignment and contract modification processes, as needed.
- Liaise with the Regional Financial Analyst and Country Controllers to ensure financial systems are established and updated to ensure full financial compliance with donor reporting requirements.
- Assist in drafting all donor reports, including progress reports and annual plans.
- Liaise with the Regional Financial Analyst and Country Controllers to develop all financial reports.
- Develop reports and presentation decks for donors, as designated.
Communications and Knowledge Management (20%)
- Support field-based program managers to develop quarterly Project Status Reports that summarize activities, results, and challenges from the previous quarter.
- Support the strategic refresh of the Regional Coffee Team’s page on TechnoServe’s intranet (myTNS) and maintain its contents once the new framework has been established.
- Develop fact sheets, blog posts, and other externally facing materials for coffee projects.
- Support the development of a semi-annual newsletter on coffee agronomy and sustainability updates.
- Ensure accurate and timely submission of corporate measurement reports.
New Business Development (10%)
- Support the creation of cost proposals for new funding opportunities.
- Develop and maintain program development documents including qualifications and past performance reviews.
- Provide editorial review support to the Program Development teams on Coffee-specific proposals.
Coffee Team Administration (5%)
- Support the coordination of the Regional Coffee Team meetings.
- Support recruitment and contracting of staff, fellows, and interns, as needed.
- Respond to requests related to the Coffee Practice from HQ and Divisional teams.
- Manage the weekly Regional Coffee Team call schedule.
- Other duties, as assigned.
You will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, economics, business administration, or other relevant subject and at least three years of related professional experience required.
- Strong budget management and financial analysis skills, including proficiency in Excel.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Outstanding written communication skills including prior experience writing and editing donor-facing deliverables.
- Proven team player with strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills.
- Strong project management skills including the ability to anticipate demand and manage multiple tasks and projects while meeting tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of rural development preferred.
- Proficiency in English required.
- All applicants must have indefinite work eligibility in Ethiopia, Kenya, or the U.S. at the time of application.
About the Organization
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses, and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With five decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.