Founded in 2006, the Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA), is an African-led African-based organization that seeks to catalyze Agriculture Transformation in Africa. AGRA is focused on putting smallholder farmers at the center of the continent’s growing economy by transforming agriculture from a solitary struggle to survive into farming as a business that thrives. As the sector that employs the majority of Africa’s people, nearly all of them small-scale farmers, AGRA recognizes that developing smallholder agriculture into a productive, efficient, and sustainable system is essential to ensuring food security, lifting millions out of poverty, and driving equitable growth across the continent.
Under its 5-year strategy, AGRA looks to catalyze and sustain an Inclusive Agricultural Transformation in Africa to increase incomes and improve food security for 30 million farmers. Under this strategy, AGRA will deliver through an approach that simultaneously catalyzes change at farmer level, strengthens input and output market systems and puts government at the center to enable and champion private-sector-led agricultural growth at national level.
To support the successful delivery from a country perspective, AGRA is seeking to recruit an experienced and exceptional individual to the role of Associate Program Officer.
The roles will be based in Nampula, Mozambique.
Reporting to the Country Manager the Associate Program Officer (APO) will contribute to agricultural transformation by creating partnerships, making and managing grants at local level. S/He will work with private sector, government at local and provincial/regional levels to design and implement agricultural transformation initiatives.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
· Together with the private sector partnerships at local level, assess and innovate to upgrade agricultural value chains and expand market opportunities for smallholder farmers,
· Identifies opportunities for collaboration with small, medium and large agribusinesses in the region,
· Identifies opportunities for investments via competitive grants,
· Designs and implements strategies for disseminating improved technologies/crop varieties,
· Engage government at provincial and district level;
· Collaborates with other players to create synergies between AGRA funded programs and other agricultural initiatives,
· Represents AGRA at grantees fora and liaises with project focal staff for areas where special attention/alignment is needed by program officers,
· Engages the Country Manager and Program Officers to assess and identify capacity needs and gaps in grantees ability to implement projects,
· Builds and maintains a wide network of stakeholders and contributors to AGRA’s work,
· Creates road maps documenting the resources and constraints to agricultural transformation,
· Devises and/or reviews the program implementation framework including implementation strategy with grantees and providing detailed annual work plans and budgets,
· Plans and implements agricultural transformation initiatives at local and provincial government levels as per the Mozambique country strategic plan,
· Organizes periodic audits, stakeholder forums and other administrative functions,
· Documenting and knowledge-sharing of the success stories, best practices and lessons learnt,
· Assesses grant portfolio to ensure grantees are implementing project in accordance with the contractual agreement,
· Oversees capacity building of grantees in data capturing, management and reporting,
· Prepares regular periodic reports as may be required by the Country Manager and special products managers,
· Implements selected ICT platforms and ensures that they are integrated with the other on-going AGRA in country programmatic work in focus countries, and
· Assess projects to help identify and resolve project issues, thus ensuring the project stays on schedule and within budget.
Academic, Professional Qualifications and Relevant experience:
· Minimum 7 years of professional experience in agri-business and development efforts in Africa;
· A Master’s degree in Agriculture or related disciplines with deep knowledge in seed and soil health systems, market access or other relevant areas of the agriculture value chain;
· Experience in managing multinational initiatives in the private and/or public sector with a sound knowledge of, and experience in agricultural trade development at national, regional and/or international level;
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a team orientation and strong collaborative skills;
· An excellent command of MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, and MS Power Point; and
· A sound knowledge of, and experience in agricultural finance development at national, regional and/or international levels; and
· Fluency in English required; ability to communicate in Portuguese is mandatory;
· Experience in working with similar organizations or institutions is essential.
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with this position’s responsibility will be negotiated with the successful candidate.
If you believe you are the right candidate for this position, kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org noting to quote the job reference number in the subject of your email)
To be considered, applications must be received on or before 30th September, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information on AGRA, applicants can visit www.agra.org
AGRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer