For assigned projects, the Associate, Project Operations serves as part of a project management team. This team is responsible under the leadership of the Project Director and a Manager, Project Operations for the management and delivery of assigned international development projects in a variety of technical areas. The specific purpose of the position is to support the management and implementation of effective and efficient operational, financial, and compliance activities to deliver projects in accordance with contractual obligations, company policies, Group Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Guidelines, and client rules and regulations.
The primary responsibilities of the Associate, Project Operations, are to:
Project Management (Operations):
1. Support project start-up and closeout;
2. Learn company policies, SOPs and Guidelines and client rules and regulations with the goal of providing training and support in these areas to project teams;
3. Serve as a focal point for coordinating team needs, including monitoring and reminding all team members of deadlines;
4. Participate in the development and maintenance of project work plans;
5. Support the development and presentation of internal and external reporting and ensure these outputs are fit for purpose;
6. Participate in internal audits or systems reviews with the goal of learning how to conduct periodic compliance checks on processes and internal controls in both HQ and project offices.
Head Contract and Client Relationship Management
1. Support the monitoring and maintenance of compliance with head/prime contracts;
2. Review and support contract amendments as required;
3. Help prepare responses to requests from clients, both internal and external;
4. Support project advocacy with internal and external stakeholders.
1. Assist with monitoring expenditure against budgets and forecasts, including staff costs, operating expenses and procurements;
2. Support project financial / cash-flow planning, including processing funding requests from the field, and processing monthly Funds Transfer Requests (FTRs);
3. Review cashbooks / field vouchers and ensure supporting documentation is complete;
4. Serve as a coordinator for service providers and process work orders and invoices;
5. Assist in ensuring the accuracy of client invoices (including monthly, milestone and performance based invoices);
6. Reconcile and report expense advances monthly;
7. Assist in processing contract action requests (for example travel, personnel additions/changes, partner, grant, budget realignment, etc.);
8. Support the external audit process and ensure retention of project records is compliant with company policy.
Human Resource Management and Recruitment
1. Provide support for HR and recruitment for field staff and consultants as needed;
2. In collaboration with Security, ensure safety and security procedures, including Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) requirements, are in place and adhered to;
3. In collaboration with HR and the project manager, ensure staff performance management systems are in place and adhered to;
4. Enter and maintain accurate data on relevant HR systems for short-term and long-term staff and consultants;
5. Support the mobilisation and demobilisation of all international staff (short-term and long-term) including employment agreements, travel management, payments and induction.
Procurement, Sub-Contractor and Grant Management
1. Support development of project subcontractor / grant management procedures compliant with the company’s SOPs and Guidelines and client’s rules and regulations;
2. Review and ensure quality of field procurement; ensuring compliance with company anti-corruption and due diligence processes;
3. Coordinate the processing of service provider work orders and invoices;
4. Assist with monthly reporting on the status of partner budgets/invoicing and grants;
5. Ensure asset management procedures are undertaken and conduct spot checks of inventory.
Business Development / Other
1. Participate in capture planning, providing inputs on operational requirements;
2. Provide input and support business development of the company as required;
3. Other duties as assigned Minimum education and experience required
1. A relevant Bachelor’s degree with possible Master’s degree as appropriate;
2. A minimum of 2 years relevant work experience;
3. Project management and/or administrative support experience with DFID, DFAT, USAID or other donor client(s);
4. Working verbal and written proficiency in Spanish or French is highly preferred, but not required;
5. Experience working, traveling, or living in a developing country or similar environment.
Key competencies and professional expertise required
1. Understanding of Project Management;
2. Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
3. Financial acumen and the ability to interpret and analyse financial reports;
4. Sound problem solving and decision-making skills;
5. Ability to travel and work in developing countries for extended periods of time if needed;
6. Good critical thinking, attention to detail, and organizational skills;
7. Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.