Background: Nathan is a leading provider of analytic and economic consultancy services worldwide. In the past decade, we have implemented more than 120 projects in more than 50 countries leveraging our global presence in Washington DC, London, and India. From improved transparency and deeper stakeholder engagement to more effective policies and more resilient businesses, we deliver results that impact economic growth, human development, and poverty reduction. We are passionate about applying our deep analytical expertise and advanced proprietary tools to generate economic solutions tailored to our clients’ unique challenges. Nathan focuses on a range of economic development subject matter areas including Trade & Logistics; Economic Policy & Governance; Private Sector Development; Women’s Economic Empowerment; and Financial Solutions.
Nathan Associates is seeking an Associate to support the Trade and Logistics group of our International Development business practice from our home office in Arlington, Virginia. This position will require travel possibly including to the Middle East, Africa, South and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and other regions. Candidate must have an advanced degree in business, economics, trade, or other relevant field and three or more years of experience managing and working on donor-funded and/or development-related technical assistance projects, including working with senior level clients, government, private sector, and NGO counterparts.
- Serve as project coordinator for designated projects;
- Manage complex projects (for clients or for internal purposes), including technical direction, staffing, contractual/subcontract oversight, budgeting, monitoring of progress, review/revision of final products;
- Draft terms of reference for technical assistance activities for designated projects; and
- Train and oversee work of junior staff.
- Draft and or manage significant technical sections of proposals;
- Participate in overseas marketing initiatives, targeting key private and/or multi-lateral clients (World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, Asian Development Bank, African Development Bank, USAID, DFID, AusAID, USTDA or others); and
- Conceptualize and draft marketing materials on behalf of the Trade and Logistics Group.
- Prepare reports for clients (requiring little or no editing by senior staff) on topics related to trade policy, trade facilitation, or trade capacity building;
- Make presentations to clients (and to staff) on technical subjects relating to the practice area and client interests; and
- Develop proprietary tools/methodologies for broader potential application.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- Advanced degree in relevant field in business, economics, international development or trade;
- Minimum of three or more years of progressively responsible project management and technical experience on trade and economic growth projects;
- Experience in project coordination or management and technical assistance on trade and economic growth projects;
- Must be self-directed and demonstrate an aptitude to work in a team environment, both as a leader and team player, and possess excellent management, communication, business development, and proposal and project management skills;
- Experience in trade related cost-benefit analysis a plus;
- Strong analytical and communication capabilities;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Experience working in and willingness to travel overseas;
- Permanent U.S. work authorization is required; and
- Fluency in a foreign language (spoken and written) such as French, Spanish, Arabic, or other language widely spoken in the developing world preferred.
About the OrganizationNathan Associates Inc. is an employee-owned economic consulting firm. Established in 1946, the firm claims more than six decades of experience, a full-time staff of over 100 professionals, and a record of successful assignments the world over. Our mission is to provide high-quality, innovative consulting services to help private and public sector decision-makers solve the practical economic, financial, and management issues of today and tomorrow.
Nathan Associates has worked in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Europe. USAID and multilateral lending institutions such as the World Bank fund most of our international work, but individual private firms and foreign governments also request our assistance.
Internationally, our clients are public and private sector decision-makers responsible for setting policy and for overseeing performance of entire economies, sectors, business enterprises, or government agencies. We provide these policymakers and managers with economic, financial, and management analysis and assistance in strategy and program planning, institutional development, privatization of state-owned enterprises, and program and project implementation.
In our 63 years of consulting, we have worked extensively both at the macroeconomic level and in a broad range of economic sectors: transportation and other infrastructure, industry and commerce, financial services, natural resources, and agriculture and environment.
Despite the geographic and economic diversity of our assignments, two themes remain constant throughout Nathan Associates' work. First, in all our projects, we strive for collegial collaboration between our consulting teams and the management and staff of our client institutions, creating a shared sense of purpose and direction. Second, whenever appropriate, we emphasize technology transfer and human resource development for our client personnel, whether through formal workshops, seminars, and short courses, or on-the-job training.
Competition, innovation, and reward are the economic forces of life. The solutions we provide clients are powered by an understanding of these forces.
For more information about Nathan Associates, see our website: http://www.nathaninc.com.
More Jobs from this Organization