Devex is currently assisting an organization focused on delivering emergency relief and fighting global poverty, in their search for an Associate Vice President. This is a full-time position to be based-in Washington, D.C.
The Associate Vice President (AVP), Competitive Bids, provides overall leadership and management of the organization’s Competitive Bids Unit, which is responsible for leading the organization’s global efforts in the acquisition of financial resources through competitive solicitations, exclusively from the US Government. The bids unit provides direct support to and builds the capacity of the organization’s geographic and technical teams worldwide to strengthen and maintain relationships with US Government staff and submit at least $500 million in proposals annually, with at least a 35% win rate, in order to fund the organization’s work in combatting poverty and discrimination in approximately 84 countries in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America and the Caribbean. The AVP is the face of the organization’s USG resource development efforts and is directly responsible for identifying issues, ensuring appropriate systems and processes are instituted and is a responsible steward of human and financial resources. CBU, under leadership of the AVP, leads USG resource development goal-setting process and is responsible for monitoring, tracking and reporting issues and providing regular updates and revenue figures to the Board of Directors, Executive Management Team, and a host of other stakeholders.
The AVP oversees and manages the four functional areas related to CBU’s core work, which include Networking/Business Intelligence, Bid Coordination, Costing/Budgeting, and Recruitment. The AVP is responsible for ensuring that the flow of funds from the organization’s institutional donor base, including USAID, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Department of State, and the Department of Labor, is maintained and increases to an optimal level, based on the organization’s strategic goals and priorities, working in close collaboration with the VP of PPL, HQ units, Regional Management Units (RMUs), Country Offices (COs) and Member Partners and technical staff worldwide. The AVP supervises the multi-disciplinary CBU team of 19 staff, manages an annual budget which includes proposal development costs, and fosters an environment of respect, integrity, diversity, commitment, and excellence.
- Management, Vision and System Development
- Leadership and Staff Management
- Networking/Partnership/Business Intelligence
- Capacity Building
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Ten years experience in international development, including overseas posting.
- Direct supervision of a team for more than five years.
- Responsibility for proposal development, program design and/or competitive bidding.
- Experience with USAID, and extensive senior-level contacts within the USG donor community required.
- Experience in non-profit, non-governmental organizations.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Fund-raising or program design
- Networking and Intelligence gathering
- Workshop Facilitation
- Project management