Attorney Senior Specialist or Specialist
Background: The Legal Department is seeking an attorney who will advise Bank management and offices either with respect to institutional and corporate matters, or sovereign-guaranteed operations.
What you’ll do:
- Provide legal advice on basic policies of the Bank, including the Agreement Establishing the Bank, and on administrative and institutional legal matters, such as: human resources administration; design and implementation of personnel and administrative policies; Bank privileges and immunities; institutional integrity; procurement and intellectual property.
- Act as legal representative of the Bank, and perform legal research and analysis for pleadings to defend cases in Administrative Tribunal proceedings and member country judicial and administrative systems, including handling external legal counsel.
- Provide legal advice and draft legal documentation for trust funds, co-financing, investment activities and other transactions for asset and liability management.
- Provide legal advice for the sovereign and sovereign-guaranteed operations (loans, technical cooperation, grants, guarantees and participate in the planning, negotiation and execution for Bank operations)
- Contribute to policy development, implementation and interpretation of operations policies, development of model contracts, and other specialized areas of sovereign-guaranteed operations practice.
What you’ll need:
Education: Juris Doctor, LL.B. or equivalent from an accredited law school in a Bank member country, admission to practice law in at least one IDB member country. Knowledge of both civil and common law systems is beneficial.
Experience: At least 5 years of relevant professional legal experience (4 years for the lower grade) since earning law degree. Seniority level will be determined by the Bank based on your profile.
Languages: Deep understanding in oral and written communication in English and Spanish; proficiency in French or Portuguese is desirable.
Technical Competencies (Ctrl + Click)
Core Competencies (Ctrl + Click)
- Type of contract: Fixed-term
- Length of contract: 3 years
- Starting date: As soon possible
- Location: Headquarters, Washington D.C.
- Requirements: You must be citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Our culture: Working with us you will be surrounded by a diverse group of people who have years of experience in all types of development fields, including transportation, health, gender and diversity, communications and much more.
About us: At the Inter-American Development Bank, we’re devoted to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48 member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
The IDB offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package.
The IDB is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment.
We embrace diversity based on gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, and religion. We encourage women, Afro-descendants and persons of indigenous origins to apply.