Background Information - IAIG
Internal Audit and Investigations Group - The purpose of the Internal Audit and Investigations Group is to provide independent and impartial assurance and advice to improve UNOPS operations. The group reports on the use of resources administered by UNOPS and the effectiveness of internal control systems; and enhances the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes. Furthermore, the Internal Audit and Investigations Group leads the Executive Director’s investigations into alleged fraud, corruption, waste of resources, abuse of authority or other misconduct and violations of UNOPS regulations, rules and administrative instructions.
IAIG is looking for an enthusiastic and well-experienced UNOPS candidate dedicated to improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the Organizations operations.
Under the general supervision of the Director, IAIG, and under the guidance of the Manager of Internal Audit, the Audit Specialist will conduct internal audits to evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls in accordance with IIA Standards and UNOPS policies and procedures. This involves financial, operational, performance and compliance audits, as well as the following related activities:
- Perform, either independently or as a member of a team, internal audit work (e.g. financial, compliance, operational , performance audits) – for the area assigned to him/her: preparing risk-based audit programmes, conducting audit field work, preparing working papers and reviewing (where appropriate) those of the Audit Assistant; contributing to preparing the exit conference communication in collaboration with senior IAIG management; preparing quality draft sections of audit reports; finalizing them as appropriate, incorporating auditees’ answers and IAIG management’s feedback; communicating orally and in writing audit results to management in collaboration with senior IAIG management
- Review project audits, project agreements with regard to audit clauses and proposed project audit terms of references; draft and final project audit reports; raise issues to IAIG management as appropriate and to project management as requested; prepare submittal for final issuance
- Monitor the status of audit recommendations assigned to him/her and appraise adequacy of actions taken thereon by management; raise issues to IAIG management as appropriate
- Identify recurring and systemic issues in audit reports for inclusion in corporate reports
- Contribute to the ongoing development of professional practices and knowledge management within IAIG, e.g.; internal and external quality assessments of internal audit activities
- Prepare or contribute to the preparation of IAIG annual budget
- Prepare monthly reporting on the usage of the annual budget
- Data analytics: Develop and lead the review of assigned tests.
- Perform other tasks as requested by and under supervision of IAIG management, e.g. contribute to preparation of the yearly risk-based and work plan, as well as the yearly activity report; advisory services on audit matters, support to investigations/ fact-finding missions (e.g. forensic accounting), working with the Lead Investigator.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Master’s degree in finance, accounting, audit, economics, business management, commerce or related fields is required. Chartered Accountant or Certified Practicing Account (CPA) certification would be a strong asset.
- Additional 2 years of relevant work experience and relevant Bachelor’s degree, may be accepted in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Minimum 5 years of internal audit or other directly relevant experience is required. Significant experience with internal auditing practices; tools and techniques; and the assessment of management systems and practices, financial and internal controls, and utilization of resources is required.
- Experience with an international audit firm or supreme audit institutions is desirable. Knowledge of IPSAS and general accounting principles is an asset. Candidates with Bachelor’s degree should have two more years of relevant experience in addition to the above.
- Candidates with team lead experience will given strong consideration. Experience in data analytics is desired.
- Knowledge of project management tools such as WrikeTM or Microsoft ProjectTM is desired.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of Spanish and French is desired.
- Any of the following certifications are highly desirable: National Audit Certification (CPA, CA etc.), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Fraud Examiner.
- Leadership and coordination skills;
- Creativity, innovation and initiative;
- Analytical skills; result orientation and client focus
- Excellent Communication skills, both written and oral, particularly in English language;
- Integrity and objectivity;
- Enterprise Resource Planning systems (e.g. Oracle/PeopleSoft, Agresso) and project management tools (e.g. Wrike WrikeTM or Microsoft ProjectTM).
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Staff
Contract level: P3
Contract duration: one year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link:
About the Organization
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.