ThinkWell is an emerging health systems development organization that is currently in a major growth phase. While our core area of work is health financing, we take a health systems approach that includes human resources for health, health information systems, private sector engagement, and research and evaluation. We are looking for a Project manager to lead the ThinkWell as part of the USAID Bangladesh Advancing Universal Health Care (AUHC) project. This is a full-time position is based in Washington DC, with significant travel time to Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Within the AUHC project, ThinkWell leads the incubator unit which will provide strategic and technical support to the newly established Surjer Hashi (Smiling Sun) Group (SHG), a sustainable pro-poor social enterprise. The Project manager is responsible for overall management of the project, including technical and leadership guidance to our local team staff, coordination among the project partners and liaison with donor and prime both in DC and in Bangladesh.
The successful candidate will have hands-on design and implementation experience, in multiple countries and in areas such as: social enterprise development, primary health care management, business strategy development, health financing policy and strategy. The ideal candidate will have previous experience living and/or working in developing countries.
The candidate will understand how to remotely support field-based programs and staff, striking the balance between mentorship, technical assistance, and accountability. The candidate should be a ‘builder’- enthusiastic to shape the growth of a cutting-edge enterprise.
- Oversee a five-year USAID program by providing leadership and oversight to the program staff; including senior technical analysts and operations/office staff.
- Provide ‘hands on’ technical leadership to the team in the following areas: social enterprise development, primary health care facility management, prototyping and human centered methodology to business development, pro-poor business strategies;
- Coordinate and provide though leadership for all partners, ensuring alignment across line of work and implementation of technically sound approaches;
- Develop and oversee an internally-led monitoring and periodic evaluation of activities undertaken;
- Provides leadership and coaching to the local team, looking at empowering our in-country staff, supporting team collaboration and individual professional development
- Ensure timely delivery of quality products, through adoption of and compliance with ThinkWell’s quality assurance standards;
- Maintain outstanding levels of client satisfaction and accountability;
- Monitor and be accountable for project budgets, in conjunction with ThinkWell finance and contract staff,
- Provide inputs on technical documents such as project status reports, inception reports, and annual reports.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with the funding organization and lead on regular engagement (both written and verbal) with their representatives;
Communication and Visibility
- Develop visibility and marketing materials, including blogs, articles, and presentations, for the project in collaboration with the in-house communications team.
- Develop relationships with other key funding entities present in Bangladesh;
- Provide technical leadership for proposal development processes, and act as a thought leader within ThinkWell;
Skills and Competencies
- MBA in Finance / Marketing or equivalent and 10+ years of project management experience or equivalent experience working in the private sector in social enterprise, business management, social or commercial franchising, service delivery;
- Experience leading and managing high-profile private sector and/or social enterprise projects, providing overall direction to government, donor counterparts, and supporting staff;
- Experience working with the private sector in healthcare or pharmaceutical industry;
- Successful track record developing business, including a good understanding of the donor landscape e.g.; USAID, CDC, GIZ, DfID, BMFG, AFD, WB;
- Fluent command of English; working proficiency in one other language preferred;
- Willingness to travel at least 30% of time, including to low-income countries.
- Creative technical approach that pushes boundaries;
- Understanding of how to navigate relationships and advocate for bold ideas within complex environments such as ministries of health and large funding organizations;
- Strong skills in staff management and mentorship;
- Strong skills in managing client expectations and delivering to meet client needs;
- Ability to represent ThinkWell’s expertise convincingly and credibly;
- Ability to advocate for ThinkWell’s role and value during business development negotiations;
- Exceptional ability to write compelling technical reports;
- Comfort in speaking to and engaging a range of different audiences on technical concepts;
- Ability to work in a lightly structured environment and effectively collaborate with remote team members;
- Drive to challenge conventional wisdom;
- A combination of humility and confidence.