THIS IS THE RE-ADVERTISEMENT, SO THE APPLICANTS WHO HAVE APPLIED TO THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT NEED TO RE-APPLY.
Background Information – Philippines
UNOPS Philippines was established in early 2016 to support, develop and oversee UNOPS’ growing portfolio of programmes and projects in the Philippines. The office currently provides implementation services to a range of projects where we work very closely with development partners, the Government and the Supreme Court focusing on the Governance/Justice, health and infrastructure sector.
The office is based in Manila, Philippines with a project side in the Guiuan area.
UNOPS Philippines is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners and is looking for qualified and committed experts.
Background Information – Job Specific
UNOPS has been appointed to undertake the reconstruction of the Felipe Abrigo Memorial Hospital, one of the core referral hospitals in Eastern Samar prior to its destruction by Typhoon Haiyan in 2013. The proposed hospital has been designed according to the Department of Health standards for infrastructure facilities. It will sit on a 10,900 square meters of land and covers a total floor area of around 3,600 square meters. The hospital will have a 52-bed capacity and will be equipped as a Level 1 General Hospital in order to contribute a functional and efficient inter-local health zone and will help achieve better health outcomes for Guiuan’s residents.
The Biomedical Engineer will be responsible for all the tasks associated with the need assessment, evaluation, installations, training, commissioning and testing of the medical equipment, furniture and appliances that are to be purchased by Philippine office as health related projects/programs.
The specific tasks will include:
- Review and consolidate the equipment lists by type of service. Review their operational performances, and make recommendations
- Support in the preparation and revision of the technical specifications and bill of quantities are to be incorporated into the tender documents of the medical equipment to be procured under the project
- Support in the preparation of the technical requirements for the installation of the equipment.
- Support in the planning of the logistic of delivery and installation
- Take part in the bid evaluation process in the supplier selections for the medical equipment supply and installation services
- Verifications of imported medical equipment for specification compliance prior to installations.
- Support in the supervision of installation of the medical equipment/systems ensuring the works are carried out as per the design specifications and contracts administrations of installation works
- Checking and certifying of contractor’s progress payment claims in respect of medical equipment items
- Support in the supervision of testing and commissioning of medical equipment/systems on completion of installations, and the preparation of the commissioning and client’s hand-over reports.
- Prepare work progress reports and contract close-out reports.
- Support in the supervision of training of the medical staff on operation and maintenance tasks, and records keeping
- Review the medical assets/systems operational performances produce reports and follow up on any warranty maintenance as required.
- Prepare operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment/systems installed under the project, and issue to the client on project completion.
- Any other business as directed by the Programme Manager.
- Promote and follow-up medical equipment related projects in the Country.
- Travel to project sites if required.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Prepare weekly & monthly progress reports: progress of works based on the established schedules and plans, encountered problems, solutions, planning of activities for the following week, etc.
- Consolidated quarterly progress reports
- Prepare and maintain an inventory list of medical equipment
- Prepare operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment
- Prepare an accurate inventory list of all medical equipment
- Complete operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment
- Advanced Degree or equivalent preferably in Biomedical Engineering or related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years’ of experience in bio medical Engineering or related field may be accepted in lieu of the Advanced university degree.
- At least two (2) years of graduate-level experience (or more depending on academic credentials) in medical equipment management, purchase and/or installation and maintenance management.
- Experience of successfully working with a variety of health sector stakeholders, particularly governments and development partners is an asset
- Good knowledge of the local and international medical Rules and Regulations is an asset.
- Some experience in UN system organizations is desirable.
- Experience in the usage of G Suite is desirable.
- Experience in Contract Management is desirable.
Fluency in both written and spoken English is required.
About the Organization
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development. UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.