IDB Invest - Blended Finance Investment Officer
Do you have experience managing portfolios of concessional resources and leading the origination, structuring and execution of blended finance investments?
Our team: The Investment Operations Department (INO) is responsible for generating a portfolio of high quality, creditworthy, and environmentally and socially sound projects that result in significant development impact. The business cycle goes from the identification, selection, origination and execution of transactions to their monitoring. INO follows a matrix model, with three Segment Divisions covering Infrastructure and Energy, Financial Institutions and Corporates, and three transversal areas such as the Financial Products and Services Division the Advisory Services and Blended Finance Team, and the Portfolio Management Division.
Background: At the Blended Finance Team you will handle the deployment of IDB Invest’s US$ ~800 million of concessional donors’ funds towards highly additional and catalytic projects where actual or perceived risks are too high for commercial finance alone. These resources are primarily applied towards gender equality, low-carbon and climate resilient investments across our priority sectors. The team works as a cross-cutting product group alongside Segment Divisions by providing comprehensive blended finance solutions combining donors’ concessional resources with IDB Invest own commercial funding through a wide array of financial products, including debt, equity, risk mitigation instruments and financial incentives.
What you will do:
- You will manage a portfolio of concessional resources (“Programs”), including performing the following activities:
- Validate investments match with Programs’ investment criteria and provide advice to improve project design and alignment with Programs’ objectives;
- Track the Programs’ portfolio of investments, monitoring its impact and financial performance in liaison with the portfolio management and development effectiveness teams;
- Contribute and/or write internal monitoring and evaluation reports required under the Programs. Prepare and participate in the periodic meetings with donors;
- Keep abreast of other multilateral development banks and relevant financial institutions use of blended finance resources;
- Support fundraising efforts to mobilize concessional resources from donors and investors;
- Handle and provide technical input for the design of blended finance communication products, including press release, brochures, knowledge products and IDB Invest’s blog posts;
- Support our positioning of partner of choice for channeling concessional resources for the private sector in LAC by engaging private and public actors in the development community and capital value chain,
- In addition, you will lead the origination, structuring and execution of blended finance investments, including performing the following activities:
- In collaboration with Segment Divisions, support the identification and design of financing products where the use of blended finance is justified;
- Act as blended finance solution provider for Segment Divisions by building and nurturing relationships with Investment Officers in Segment Divisions;
- Lead the structuring and execution of the blended finance component in such projects; Facilitate and coordinate the access to the various pools of concessional resources;
- Handle preparation of lessons learned related to blended finance within and outside the IDBG, including technical input for the design of project level communication products, including, press release, brochures, knowledge products and IDB Invest’s blog posts.
Skills you will need:
Education: You hold a Master’s Degree in finance, economics, international development, public and/or international affairs, business administration, engineering or other relevant field;
Experience: You have at least five (5) years of relevant financial structuring experience in debt and or equity products. Work experience in a private commercial bank in Latin America and the Caribbean and experience that provides insights in the workings of international organizations, bilateral agencies and donors, and the global context of development finance, in particular in climate; shall be highly valued;
You possess a deep understanding of the operational work of IDB Invest or similar multilateral institution. Sector knowledge in the industries in which we operates as well as experience in an international environment, preferably in LAC. The following additional requirements should be met:
Languages: you are fluent in English and Spanish. Portuguese or French is a plus.
Link to Core & Technical Competences (← please Ctrl + Click)
Other Related Matters:
Together with your CV please include the list of projects and/or products development you have participated in and/or closed.
- Type of Contract: Fixed term.
- Length of Contract: 3 years
- Starting Date: 9/17/2018
- Location: IDB Invest, Washington DC (USA), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Bogota, (Colombia), Panama (Panama) or Port of Spain (Trinidad & Tobago).
The IDB Invest offers a competitive benefits & compensation package.
The IDB Invest is committed to diversity and inclusion and to providing equal opportunities in employment. We embrace diversity based on gender, age, education, national origin, ethnic origin, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion, and HIV/AIDs status. We encourage women, Afro-descendants, and persons of indigenous origins