Background: The upcoming USAID Jordan Public Financial Management and Administration (PFMA) opportunity seeks to improve public financial management in Jordan by strengthening performance and efficiency of the existing revenue system and enhancing the budget management process. PFMA will focus on building capacity within Jordanian institutions to modernize the revenue system, encourage compliance, ease taxpayer ability to comply with tax obligations, improve budget planning/ preparation/ and execution, and enhance public procurement management. PFMA is anticipated to be a five year project.
The Budget Management Lead will be responsible for supporting the Government of Jordan (GoJ) to improve its budget preparation and execution and effectively manage public expenditures. He/she will support governance systems to become more responsive to citizen needs, generate and accountably expend revenue, and improve service-delivery outcomes. This will entail working closely with GoJ, Ministries, and national/ sub-national entities to promote evidence-based decision making, results-oriented and gender-responsive budgeting, transparent financial management and appropriate organizational structures, and performance ratings and methods to incentivize performance.
Required Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in public administration, economics, finance, business administration, or a related field.
Preferred: Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience in public financial management, revenue generation, and/or fiscal management and administration.
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical assistance, capacity building, mentorship, change management, and training in PFM systems and processes, both at the national and sub-national levels.
- Experience in evaluating, improving, and implementing financial management systems (including budgeting, accounting, cash management, internal audit and financial reporting systems).
- Experience supporting results-oriented and gender-responsive budgeting.
- Understanding of the budget formulation and execution processes, including treasury and cash management, as applicable to Bank-financed investment projects and public sector finance in general.
- Previous experience supporting government revenue generation and expenditure systems.
- Knowledge of International Reporting Standards (IFRS) and International Standards on Audit (ISA), International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS), International Standards of Supreme Audit Institutions (ISSAI), and Accrual-Based International Public Sector Accounting Standards.
- Experience in designing and assessing internal control systems using internationally accepted control frameworks such as COSO.
- Experience in assessing auditor competence and independence and evaluating audit reports and management letters.
- Ability to work closely with and build capacity of key stakeholders including public and private sector representatives (GoJ officials, Ministries, think tanks, academia).
- Strong analytical capabilities and planning, organization, and time management skills.
- Excellent oral and written English language communication skills.
- Previous experience working for USAID-funded program preferred.
- Established professional relationships with municipal officials working in the governance sector in Jordan is a plus.
- Experience supporting gender integration and equality for vulnerable populations (including people with disabilities) in fiscal and public financial management policies preferred.
- Deep contextual understanding of municipal governance in Jordan/ experience working in the Middle East or Northern Africa preferred.
- Arabic language skills preferred.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Background, knowledge, and experience in gender equality or social inclusion/protection.
- Proven experience working with USAID and knowledge of USAID’s global strategies.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook required.
- Excellent conceptual, oral and written communication skills in English.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to meet management deadlines.
- Commitment to principles of gender equality, capacity development, and anti-corruption.
- Ability to be flexible to changes in working hours where required.
- Ability to work well as part of a multi-disciplinary team in an office environment.
- Fluency in English required
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
- Ability to solve problems
- Ability to prioritize
- Ability to manage through systems
- Ability to build and maintain useful and wide-ranging networks of contacts at institution, country or regional level.
- Ability to quickly understand regional/country context and local sensitivities.
- Ability to build and maintain cooperative and productive relationships with an effective range of external contacts.
- Ability to negotiate effectively combining logic and reason with interpersonal sensitivity.
Interpersonal Savvy, Teamwork, Problem Solving, Communications, Process Management/Improvement, Risk Management, Drive for Results, Personal Learning, Functional/Technical Skills