SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Budgeting and Operations Finance Manager will provide functional leadership and support in the cost and pricing areas of business development, playing an integral role in helping IntraHealth secure new funding opportunities from USAID and other donors. Under the direction of the Director, Budgeting and Operations Finance, the Manager oversees the development of cost proposals for new business development including the IntraHealth budget, budget narrative, cost and price analysis of partner budgets, and partner budget negotiations. The Manager leads the development of budgets for large and complex proposals.
The Budgeting and Operations Finance Manager will also serve as a Finance Business Partner for assigned projects and/or countries in the Global portfolio. This position is also responsible for providing financial management and support to IntraHealth’s country programs as assigned in areas such as registration, taxation, inventory management, etc. which are necessary to effectively manage financial risks. A team approach is encouraged; however, specific countries are assigned based on geographic and size considerations. It is expected that s/he will be responsible for a portfolio of between 10 million to 20 million spent per year.
- Serve as the budget manager for the budget development process to meet internal deadlines and submit cost competitive proposals by providing oversight and instruction to members of the costs team
- Lead the proposal budget kick-off meeting
- Prepare cost application guidance and customize templates (including budget and budget narrative) for internal use and for partner organizations
- Ensure that all donor budget requirements are met in the cost proposal and all donor budget forms are completed accurately
- Review partner budgets and share feedback with PD/technical team or directly as appropriate
- Review alignment of the budget and budget narrative
- Ensure the effort to gathering base costing information to develop a cohesive budget, and collecting local partner budgets and cost supporting documents
- Review cost share plan and narrative developed by the Program Team
- Work with the Director to obtain approval from VP of Finance and Administration for the % fee that can be charged for proposals (that allow a fee) and % fee for sub-contractors
- Participate in mid-term and corporate review meetings
- Lead BAFO response process including updating the budget and narrative
- Support efforts to gather, analyze, summarize, and prepare financial plans, budgets, cash flow projections, pipeline analyses, and operating forecasts
- Review assigned project budgets on a monthly basis, assessing expenditure burn rates, funding requirements, and financial commitments
- Monitor actual expenditure levels against budgets and funding obligations
- Assist in the review and approval of annual budgeting process for assigned projects
- Use various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphic packages to assemble, manipulate, format data and/or reports
- Interpret financial transactions and events for non-financial staff
- Advise program staff in determination of allowable and allocable program costs and advise staff where contemplated costs should be charged
- Ensure financial requirements stated in award documents are met
- Follow-up with staff submitting invoices to donors to ensure timely submission of reports and invoices in compliance with terms and conditions of the grant/contract
- Provide guidance, as able, regarding the interpretation of applicable contract, grant and cooperative agreement terms and conditions, as well as 2 CFR Chapter I, Chapter II, Part 200 (Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit) Requirements for Federal Awards
- Special projects as assigned.
- Perform internal control reviews of assigned country offices, prepare recommendations and monitor implementation of remedial plans
- Contribute to project start-up/close out activities. Contribute to the establishment of internal control systems in new project offices
- Provide training and capacity building to country office financial staff as needed
- Periodically review country registration requirements and documentation to determine if any renewals are required
- Support and assist in tracking annual field audits and remediation in order to minimize management comments.
- Master’s degree in Business, Finance, or related field and 6+ years relevant work experience or a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study and 10+ years relevant work experience.
- Experience leading the budget development of cost proposals. Knowledge of USAID and other Federal programs fiscal and compliance requirements, principles and practices. Understanding and interpretation of OMB, CFR, and FAR cost principles.
- Demonstrates a management style that works in cooperation with others who represent a wide range of interests and needs
- Understanding of the difference between contracts and cooperative agreements and their relevant terms and conditions
- Excellent general skills particularly in facilitation, team building, and coordination
- Effective communicator with ability to communicate organization’s direction and ability to motivate others with strong, honest leadership
- Strong computer skills and advanced knowledge of spreadsheets using MS-Excel
- Possess good problem-solving skills
- Comfortable with a team approach to management and the ability to manage several major activities simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to conduct effectively several major activities simultaneously
- Excellent time management skills
- Ability to work both independently and with team members
- Ability to exercise independent judgment
Innovation- Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results, and global commitments.
Accountability- Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
Service Excellence- Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes, and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
Strategic Thinking- Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision-making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
Client Relationship Management- Knowledge and ability to determine and satisfy client needs (internally and externally) and maintain partnering and productive relationships during engagements, including influencing, communicating, presenting, facilitating, and managing new relationships.
Effective Communication (Oral and Written)- Understands effective communication concepts, tools, and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @:http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
About the Organization
Why Choose IntraHealth
Would you like to be a part of purposeful work that saves lives?
For 35 years, in 100 countries, IntraHealth International has empowered health workers to better serve communities in need. IntraHealth fosters local solutions to health care challenges by improving health worker performance, strengthening health systems, harnessing technology, and leveraging partnerships.
As a global champion for health workers, IntraHealth International advocates for the role of the health worker as critical in saving lives and helping the world to achieve the Millennium Development Goals. We partner with governments, NGOs, the private sector, and other organizations to foster policies that empower health workers to better serve communities in need.
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1