The Pragma Corporation seeks long term Senior Business Advisors for the USAID-funded Feed-the-Future West Africa Trade and Investment Activity (Trade Hub) Project. The project will aim to improve private sector competitiveness in West Africa with a focus on increasing the agricultural productivity and profitability of smallholder farmers in Nigeria and promoting West Africa’s regional and international trade. The Business Advisor is in charge of developing a transaction-based strategy to achieve results for the export enhancement and job creation project area and demonstrating that the contractor’s role is to improve the competitiveness of the private sector. The Business Advisor is expected to carry out technical analysis on business competitiveness constraints as well as working with the private sector to identify solutions to overcome them. In addition, s/he will provide technical assistance to potential and existing grantees; conduct training to bolster company success/access other finance; conduct AGOA Training and support to satisfy requirements. S/he is required to work with stakeholders inside and outside the project to ensure a transaction-based approach to achieve desired development results. S/he must have technical expertise in private sector development and experience in designing and leading assessments and interventions in the promotion, development, and expansion of the private sector at the firm and sector levels in several potential value chains such as agro-products, garment and apparel, leather, ICT and others.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Graduate degree in a field relevant to private sector development. In circumstances where a candidate possesses exceptional relevant experience but lacks a graduate degree (defined as a minimum of 10 years of experience), exceptional relevant post-education experience will be considered.
- Ten years of relevant market-driven private sector experience in the role of managing, developing, and deploying innovations and efficiencies in businesses with demonstrated results in helping firms expand, at least three years in an international developing country context.
- Ability to prospect for potential new project partner enterprises, in order to jointly improve their operations, improve their competitiveness, and enhance their business growth.
- Ability to build relationships with management of project partner enterprises, leading to developing a strong shared vision about enterprises needs and recommendations to enhance their competitiveness, growth their business and generate employment.
- Direct experience with one or more sectors, including agribusiness, leather, textile, and ICT is desirable.
- Integrity and honesty in the management of a portfolio of private sector partner enterprises
- Excellent communication skills and ability to get along with people and stakeholders at all levels.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are required.
- Previous work experience in Nigeria, Cote d’Ivoire, Senegal, and/or West Africa is desirable.
If interested and qualified for the position, please send your resume to email@example.com. Please include “Business Advisor Candidate, West Africa Trade and Investment Hub” in the subject line of your email.
About the Organization
The Pragma Corporation is an international development firm headquartered in the Washington DC area. With more than a quarter century of development experience worldwide, involving more than 600 projects, we provide expert technical and management consulting services to such donor organizations as the United States Agency for International Development, the Asian Development Bank and the World Bank. Our areas of specialization include Small and Medium Enterprise Development; Accounting Reform, Training, and Examination; Regulatory Reform and Business Environment Improvement; Agribusiness Development; Capital and Financial Market Development; WTO Accession; Customs Reform and Cross-Border Trade; and Regional Trade Promotion.