Job DescriptionWithin our International Development Group, we have a rapidly expanding Global Food Security and Agriculture Division. Around the globe, RTI International is working to strengthen agricultural markets, engage youth and women as critical leaders of the on- and off-farm workforce, and tackle the dual burden of malnutrition.
RTI International•s Food Security and Agriculture Division is seeking a Business Development Director to drive our new business strategy and successfully expand RTI•s international portfolio of projects in the sector. S/he will sit within the International Development Group (IDG) and will lead and direct new business development as part of the Food Security and Agriculture (FS&Ag) team, including representation of the organization at events as required, development of key business relationships and partnerships, monitoring and analysis of developments and trends in the sector, and strategic planning for upcoming opportunities with numerous clients.•S/he will also provide programmatic and logistical support to the team by institutionalizing a business development process, supporting proposal and project systems, contributing to proposal development, and meeting other portfolio needs as they arise.
This position requires travel (both international and domestic) of up to 20% time and will be based in Washington, DC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement an FS&Ag business development strategy to drive a process that reflects industry best practices, build the team•s capacity to submit winning proposals, and proactively position RTI for new opportunities.
- Enforce the systematic application of business development best practices, including standardized processes, tools, and training to ensure business development is a continuous learning process.
- Train and mentor staff on business development best practices.
- Demonstrate, through work products and reference feedback, an exceptional ability to articulate RTI•s capabilities and value add to internal and external audiences.
- Proactively plan and organize business development efforts, draft or contribute to business development and marketing materials, and thoroughly follow up on specific opportunities to ensure the team•s process continuously improves and responds to market dynamics.
- Effectively communicate through meetings, written updates, and other modalities to ensure the team works together efficiently on business development priorities.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with other business development staff across IDG and regional offices to maximize visibility of, and support to, food security and agriculture new business priorities.
- Assess trends and new opportunities in core/emerging areas to expand RTI•s market share and client base.
- Promote increased collaboration and coordination across RTI International related to business development and strategic planning.
- Lead or participate in internal proposal reviews and after action meetings and identify improvements.
- Represent RTI•s broad technical capabilities at both informal and formal client and industry events and leverage industry, client, and competitor information to augment market intelligence gathering efforts.
- Effectively manage a small team, including at least one additional Business Development Specialist, and capture/proposal teams, as needed, to ensure smooth proposal development.•
- Bachelor•s degree and 12 years• related experience or a Master•s degree and 9 years• related experience in business development for international donors, including USAID.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID (including budgeting and procurement processes and mechanisms).•Experience with other donors, including DFID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, or foundations a plus.
- Demonstrated track record of leading winning proposal efforts, including proven proposal writing and proposal management skills for USAID and other donors, and in-depth knowledge of business development best practices.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, entrepreneurial, management, and writing skills required.
- Strong time management skills and ability to work under tight deadlines and to prioritize/manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent analytical, oral, and written communications, presentation, and problem-solving skills.
- Proven capability to establish and maintain a wide array of professional relationships and networks, including with the client, key partners, and other industry actors.
- Ability to work in a team environment and at all levels of the organization, including with managers, peers, and technical staff at both headquarters and international locations.
- Solid understanding of and experience in the food security and agriculture sector strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time.
- Must be eligible to work in the US.•
About the OrganizationIDG Food & Agriculture