DAI is seeking a Business Development Director to manage DAI’s European Commission Framework contracts unit. The position will be based in Apsley, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. Become part of the thriving DAI business, located in spacious, bespoke offices, 30 minutes out of Euston - with excellent rail and motorway links to London and region.
The candidate will be responsible for providing strategic oversight of the EC Frameworks market and ensuring that DAI’s targets are achieved through sound leadership, marketing and technical expertise. They will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing effective partnerships with the market and partner companies.
- Do you have a background in international development?
- Do you have extensive experience of working with the European Commission; ideally on Framework contracts?
- Is your technical expertise in, either: Governance and democracy; rural development, resilience and food security; environment and climate change; private sector and trade?
- Do you have fluent English capability and, preferably French?
Reporting to the Senior Vice-President, the candidate will work with an experienced and dedicated team to:
- lead and oversee team initiatives to develop new business opportunities within the client market; keep abreast of market developments;
- undertake site visits, where appropriate;
- anticipate, understand and respond to the needs of clients and, where possible, exceed their expectations;
- collect and disseminate market intelligence, as appropriate;
- oversee, maintain and develop a network of client contacts and partner firms;
- act as a point of consultation and escalation for the team in addition to providing strategic and technical support;
- positively influence the team to achieve results that are in the best interests of DAI Europe
- set team priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities of the team;
- coach and mentor the team as appropriate to improve performance;
- oversee the production of both technical and financial proposals;
- ensure the quality of the written methodology of the team;
- support the team with the production of tenders and assist team members with contract negotiation, where appropriate;
- monitor and ensure the best quality of work is maintained by the team.
We would like to hear from you if you are experienced at working with the European Commission, have technical expertise in one of DAI’s core areas and are fluent in English.
For the role the successful candidate will have:
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant field and extensive work experience in a development environment;
- commercially astute with a talent for client development and management; proven negotiation skills;
- solid understanding of proposal development process, project management systems and best practices;
- experience working with major European donors;
- excellent skills in communication, planning and coordination;
- proactive, assertive and action-oriented with strong intellectual agility and ability
- excellent interpersonal skills
- able to be flexible, versatile and tolerant in a changing work environment whilst maintaining effectiveness; ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
We are offering a competitive salary, commensurate with relevant experience, in addition to a generous benefits package.
If you believe you have the above skills and experience, and you have the right to work within the EEA, we look forward to hearing from you.
The closing date for applications is Monday 4th June 2018. Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place progressively.
About the Organization
DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. We work with a wide range of clients, including national and local governments, bilateral and multilateral donors, private corporations, and philanthropies.
Since 1970, we have worked in more than 150 countries—delivering results across the spectrum of international development contexts, from stable societies and high-growth economies to challenging environments racked by political or military conflict.