Business Development Manager
Amref Health Africa, Inc.
With headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, Amref Health Africa is the largest Africa-based healthcare nonprofit, serving an average of nine million people per year across 35 countries in sub-Saharan Africa with almost 100 programs. We focus on the continent’s most critical health challenges: maternal and child health, infectious and noncommunicable diseases, access to clean water and sanitation, surgical and clinical outreach, and the lack of African healthcare workers.
Amref Health Africa has 12 fundraising and communications offices across Europe and North America, and an overall budget is upwards of $100 million. Amref Health Africa prides itself on creating “African Solutions to African Healthcare problems with African expertise”. 97% of our global staff are Africans, including our leadership.
Amref Health Africa in the USA is the U.S. office of Amref Health Africa. Its primary responsibilities are to raise awareness and funds to support Amref Health Africa’s work. Amref Health Africa, Inc currently has a staff of seven and an annual budget of more than $6.5 million.
The Business Development Manager is part of the organization’s Business Development Unit (BDU) responsible for securing funding from Foundations, Corporations and the U.S. Government. The Business Development Manager (BDM) is responsible for tracking and identifying Foundations and Corporations, and US Government (USG) opportunities across several technical and/or geographic portfolios; developing plans to compete for these funding opportunities, executing those plans, including oversight of pre-solicitation/pre-proposal activities, as well as proposal preparation and submission; and otherwise contributing to the Organization’s external representation and internal fundraising efforts as they relate to the US office and US donors. The position will report to the Director, Business Development.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Identify and track relevant upcoming funding opportunities, including Foundations, USAID and Corporations – through advance intelligence gathering, partner relationships, and other available resources – and inform Country Offices (COs) and relevant Organization’s technical and other partners.
- Liaise with Amref Country Offices (in Africa) and HQ business development unit to identify and prepare for upcoming funding opportunities.
- Manage actions for pre-solicitation proposal preparations and bid planning including: teaming agreements, bid strategy, development of win-themes, oversight of and contribution to technical design, drafting management and other sections of the proposal in advance of the solicitation.
- Represent the organization’s business development interests at relevant meetings, events, and within resource mobilization or donor-specific peer networks, as it relates to USG, corporations and foundation funding streams.
- Contribute to the expansion of the organization’s consultant roster for key technical and bid preparation functions.
This position has up to 25% international travel.
- Masters level degree in Public Health, Education, International Development or related technical discipline relevant for Amref Health Africa programs is preferred; Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline combined with substantive work and international field experience is required.
- A minimum of five years of experience in successful proposal development for USG and Foundations.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously, work well under pressure and meet deadlines;
- Ability to effectively communicate with and coordinate activities of multiple partners, including field-based staff.
- Excellent technical skills in writing, editing, formatting, research, negotiation, and verbal communications;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, sense of humor, and flexibility;
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally, sometimes with little advance notice;
- International field experience in one of the organization’s relevant technical sector is a plus.
Position can be based in DC or New York
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com with the subject line “Business Development Manager”. NO CALLS.
About the Organization
Founded almost 60 years ago and headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, Amref Health Africa is the largest African-based health development non-profit in the world. We work to create and strengthen health systems from a grassroots level. We focus on the most critical health areas: maternal and child health, water and sanitation, infectious disease (HIV/AIDS, TB, malaria, Ebola, etc), clinical labs and surgical outreach; with the cornerstone of our work being the training of health workers. Last year, we reached over nine million people in 35 countries across sub-Saharan Africa, and trained over 100,000 health workers. With nearly 97% of our staff of African-origin, we excel at creating ‘African solutions to African problems’. Learn more at www.amrefusa.org