It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
WaterAid works through supporting local organisations and government authorities to design and demonstrate appropriate and sustainable WASH programmes. WaterAid also seeks to influence policy change through government and other key sector actors to secure and protect the rights of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
WaterAid Rwanda (WARw) is looking for a Business Development Manager (BDM) to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere.
In order to implement its Country Programme Strategy (CPS), WARw, intends to establish a strong resourcing pipeline. For this, WARw would like to build on the existing business relations and expand these to strengthen its current resourcing pipeline. The position of Business Development Manager will establish the vision of business development of WARw in line with its funding plan. The jobholder will liaise with national and international funding agencies (Institutional and other donors) independently and through organizational channels to ensure building robust and sustainable business relationships; leading to generate long-term resources to deliver on WARw strategic objectives and program plans.
- Lead and develop a business development strategy and an action plan based on the existing donor scoping and funding plan.
- Establish specific targets for business development focusing on three to five key institutional, private sector and corporate donors in Rwanda.
- Ensure WARw is well positioned within the market as a “go to” agency for long-term WASH programme delivery.
- Grow a pipeline of funding opportunities across WaterAid Rwanda programmes from donor markets.
- Support WARw Senior managers and thematic leads on donor engagement by preparing briefings, setting up meetings, accompanying and following up on key outcomes.
- Lead on the programme fundraising efforts of WARw including planning, managing and ensuring the delivery of an agreed funding target. S/he will be responsible for researching, identifying and cultivating potential donors, including institutional and corporate donors as well as trusts, foundations, and philanthropies.
- Support WARw’s senior management team by leading in managing the effective implementation of the Country Programmes (CPs) Funding Strategy to support WaterAid’s work in delivering sustainable WASH services in Rwanda in partnership with other development actors.
- Provide WaterAid teams with up-to-date intelligence on prioritised donors in the funding plan, their key funding partners, funding opportunities, donors funding plans, donor terms and conditions. This should include specific information and guidance on cost recovery approaches with these donors.
- Enable effective qualification of donor funding opportunities by WaterAid staff/programmes (e.g Bid/No Bid process) to improve conversion success rates.
- Enable effective formation of strong consortium around specific funding opportunities prior to bid development.
- Support the development of high quality bids for submission to donors.
- The incumbent will be involved in direct grant management but will support senior management team (SMT) with quality assurance processes tools and capacity building for specific donors.
To be successful, you will need the following:
- A Master’s degree in Project/Programme Management, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Business Management/Administration, International Development, Public Health or related field.
- Sound experience (5 years) in business development work is required, especially with International organization and Donor funding agencies.
- Working experience in WASH sector is preferable.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken), and working knowledge of Kinyarwanda and or French is added advantage
By 2030, we want everyone everywhere to have clean water, sanitation and hygiene. We need you to help us make it happen. If you bring your expertise, passion and professionalism, we will give you a lot back.
Find the job description attached for full details of the role or visit our global WaterAid website: https://www.wateraid.org/jobs-and-volunteering
We are looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We are looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, please send your CV and cover letter to EArecruitments@wateraid.org stating ‘BDM’ in the subject line.
Your application should reach us by 30th April 2019. Women are strongly encouraged to apply. No recruitment agencies please.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.
About the Organization
WaterAid is on a mission to change normal for millions of people within a generation by getting clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene to everyone, everywhere by 2030. Without all three, people can't live dignified, healthy lives. With all three, they can unlock their potential, break free from poverty, and change their lives for good. Children grow up healthy and strong, women and men get to earn a living, whole communities start to thrive. It sounds normal and it should be.
WaterAid is a place for people looking for inspiring, stimulating work and a real spirit of togetherness - people with a commitment to our vision, an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important of challenges.
We are looking for people who share a commitment to our vision, who have an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also have the chance to grow and space to be yourself at your best.