Business Development Manager
London, United Kingdom
Coffey, a Tetra Tech Company, is looking for a Business Development Manager to join our international development team in London. The role will support all our technical practice areas to design, pursue and win impactful donor-funded programmes.
Business Development Manager works closely with all Coffey and Tetra Tech’s technical teams based in London and around the world to develop innovative and effective proposals that deliver results and value for money to our clients. We are seeking entrepreneurial candidates with proposal management experience, excellent written and presentational communication skills and problem-solving mind-set.
Reporting to the Head of Business Development, this role is central to the success of our business development cycle, steering proposal teams from identification of opportunities through to the submission of winning proposals. With others in the Business Development team, the successful applicant will drive new and tried and tested ways to produce best possible quality work be it a business strategic proposal or a briefing note to our in-country teams.
The role is based in London with travel to project and client locations as required.
This is an exciting time to join Coffey: with recent success combined with the acquisition of WYG, we are rapidly growing and expanding our operations and project and client portfolios. Coffey are experts in delivering complex projects in regions faced with complex challenges. Our clients in the public and private sector call on Coffey to help find sustainable solutions to international development challenges across our technical areas of expertise:
- Our Economic Growth team is delivering programmes that channel the power of the market to benefit the lives of the 1.5 billion people currently living in extreme poverty.
- Our Governance, Security and Justice team thinks and works politically and contextually to deliver systemic change in some of the world’s most challenging places.
- Our Research, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning department is now one of the largest in Europe, offering market-leading expertise in multi-country, complex evaluations for
- Our Climate Change Adaptation team work with engineers and scientists to integrate climate risk and resilience thinking into infrastructure policy, strategy, planning, project preparation an implementation.
- Our Public Financial Management team works with governments to develop new approaches to public accounting, and the legal, regulatory, procedural and training support they require.
Together with our parent company Tetra Tech, our operations now cover 120 countries, 450 offices worldwide and 20,000 staff. We are key suppliers to DFID, the FCO, EuropeAid, EIB, USAID and DFAT and trusted partners with other bilateral and multilateral agencies.
About the role
Your responsibilities include:
- Successful delivery of all business development activities from opportunity identification to proposal submission with a specific focus on UKAid-funded (DFID, FCO, BEIS) programmes.
- Leading the pursuit process and production of proposals, capability statements, expressions of interest; ensuring documents are produced within deadlines, client specifications and to professional standards.
- Capturing timely donor intelligence and follow-up.
- Identification, relationship building and contractual management of partners and consultants.
- Conducting reviews and collating feedback, ensuring that any lessons learnt are appropriately disseminated and acted on.
- Commercial oversight of proposals including writing winning commercial and value for money proposals and working together with the costing specialist to respond to commercial requirements.
- Maintaining and strengthening business development systems and procedures, including capacity building of colleagues across the business.
- Building strong relationships with internal stakeholders including pursuit teams, in-country teams and technical specialists across the Tetra Tech and Coffey operating units.
- Training and advising other staff in best practice in proposal management ensuring consistent approach is applied across the business.
- Representing Coffey and Tetra Tech in external events in the UK and elsewhere.
The successful applicant will have:
- An entrepreneurial nature and ability to thrive in a team environment.
- An interest in addressing the social, political, environmental and economic challenges around the world, complimented by an interest in proposal and programme design, sales, communications and bidding.
- Strong proposal/project/sales pipeline management skills. An accreditation in proposal development best practice (Shipley or equivalent) will be an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship-building and negotiation skills.
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience and a degree in a relevant subject.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to create compelling and concise narratives for a range of audiences using Word and PowerPoint.
- Strong organisational skills and an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines in a complex, demand driven environment.
- Prior experience working with international development donors, especially DFID and the FCO, is an advantage.
Please note: You must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom to apply for this position. Occasional travel will be required.
Applications close: 15 Dec 2019 (11:55 PM) GMT Standard Time
About the Organization
Coffey has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors and international organisations around the world, including the UK’s Department for International Development, the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, USAID, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the EU and the United Nations.
Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability and security, good governance and economic growth, positively changing people’s lives. Coffey is also a trusted monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL) provider to DFID. We are one of the UK government’s leading governance and security and justice providers. We specialise in successfully delivering complex adaptive programmes in fragile and conflict affected states including in Nigeria, Kenya, Malawi, South Sudan, Somalia, Somaliland, Pakistan, Afghanistan and North Africa.