Business Development Manager
London, United Kingdom
Coffey, a Tetra Tech Company, is seeking a Business Development (BD) Manager to join Coffey’s Business Development team in London. The role will help to grow our thriving Evaluation and Research (E&R) Practice of 45 in-house consultants and managers building on our reputation as a leading international development consultancy in the UK and EU markets.
The BD Manager will work closely with all Coffey and Tetra Tech’s technical teams based in London and across the world to develop innovative proposals for projects to deliver the expected results and value for money to our clients. We are seeking entrepreneurial candidates with proposal management experience, excellent written and verbal communication skills and a problem-solving mind-set.
Reporting to the Senior Business Development Manager, this role is central to the success of our business development cycle, steering proposal teams from identification of opportunities through to the submission of winning proposals. Working with others in the Business Development team, the successful applicant will drive new ways to produce high quality work, be it a strategic proposal or a briefing note to our in-country teams. The role will have specific focus on supporting our monitoring, evaluation, research and learning work but will also cover responsibilities across other technical and practice areas.
The role is based in London with travel to project and client locations as required.
About Coffey and it’s Evaluation and Research (E&R) Practice
Coffey are experts in designing, delivering, monitoring and evaluating complex projects in regions faced with complex challenges. Our clients in the public and private sector call on Coffey to help find sustainable solutions to international development challenges.
Together with our parent company Tetra Tech, our service areas include governance, security and justice; economic growth and private sector development; education; energy; environment and natural resources; resilient cities; and equitable digital access.
Coffey’s E&R Practice is a leading supplier of research, monitoring, evaluation and learning consultancy services for DFID, the FCO, European Union and UK domestic clients, currently evaluating the performance and effectiveness of over £1.2 billion in bilateral and multilateral funding. We are one of a small number of international development consultancies with specialist in-house monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) experts including statisticians, economists, quantitative and qualitative specialists.
Coffey’s E&R Practice also draws on research, monitoring and evaluation experts across the world through collaboration with other Tetra Tech international development companies – in particular our RME Practice in Australia who leads our work for DFAT and Management Systems International (MSI) in Washington D.C. (USA), a top supplier to USAID for M&E consultancy services.
About the role
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Successful delivery of business development activities from opportunity identification to proposal submission. Management of the E&R Practice’s pipeline and opportunity assessment, qualification and submission process.
- Managing the overall pursuit process and production of proposals, capability statements, expressions of interest; ensuring documents are produced within deadlines, client specifications and to professional standards.
- Capturing timely opportunity intelligence, assess opportunities against business’ strategic objectives, and follow-up prospects with colleagues and partners.
- Conducting reviews and collating feedback on proposal process and success, ensuring lessons learnt are appropriately disseminated and acted on.
- Working together with the consultants and managers in the E&R Practice and the costing specialists to identify and respond to commercial requirements.
- Identification, relationship building and contractual management of partners and consultants.
- Maintaining and strengthening business development systems and procedures.
- Attending market engagement and other industry events to promote Coffey and keep abreast of market opportunities and challenges.
- Promotion of Coffey’s in-house survey and knowledge management tools.
- Building strong relationships with internal stakeholders including Governance, Security and Justice and Economic Growth practice areas, pursuit teams, in-country teams and technical specialists across the Tetra Tech operating units.
The successful applicant will have:
- An entrepreneurial nature and ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Strong proposal/project/sales pipeline management skills. An accreditation in proposal development best practice (Shipley or equivalent) will be an advantage.
- An interest in addressing the social, political, environmental and economic challenges around the world, complimented by an interest in sales and bidding.
- Prior experience working in the international development sector. Experience with UKAID donors, is an advantage.
- Prior experience of working in monitoring, evaluation, surveys, research and/or knowledge management is an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship-building and negotiation skills.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience and a degree in a relevant field.
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to create compelling and concise narratives for a range of audiences using Word and PowerPoint.
- Strong organisational skills and an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines in a complex, demand driven environment.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United Kingdom to apply for this position. Occasional travel may be required.
About the Organization
Coffey has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors and international organisations around the world, including the UK’s Department for International Development, the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, USAID, Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, the EU and the United Nations.
Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability and security, good governance and economic growth, positively changing people’s lives. Coffey is also a trusted monitoring, evaluation, research and learning (MERL) provider to DFID. We are one of the UK government’s leading governance and security and justice providers. We specialise in successfully delivering complex adaptive programmes in fragile and conflict affected states including in Nigeria, Kenya, Malawi, South Sudan, Somalia, Somaliland, Pakistan, Afghanistan and North Africa.