Summary of Role
The Business Development Officer contributes to IntraHealth’s strategic growth by supporting efforts to cultivate donors and secure funds for the organization’s global programs in maternal, newborn and child health, HIV/AIDS, malaria, reproductive health and family planning, and other priority health areas. This includes working with senior Business Development staff, headquarters-based teams, and country-based programs staff to support the development and execution of growth strategies. Specifically, this involves supporting the positioning, planning, development, and submission of proposals to a range of US government and foundation donors. The position provides support for large proposal efforts and also manages smaller proposals with oversight from senior staff. S/he conducts research related to potential funding opportunities and organizational growth areas.
- Provide support to proposal managers, including preparing proposal components such as past performance references, staffing documentation, donor-required certifications, and assisting with budgets and budget notes.
- Manage proposals with oversight from senior staff, which includes leading proposal teams to respond to solicitations, setting and monitoring internal deadlines, ensuring high quality of all proposal components, and completion of components in compliance with organizational and donor requirements.
- Collaborate with appropriate program and project staff to prepare organization to pursue funding opportunities, including pre-solicitation research, identification of consultants, staff recruitment, identification of potential partners and competition, on-the-ground reconnaissance, etc.
- Draft corporate capabilities documents that synthesize approaches and key results in order to market the organization’s strengths and achievements.
- Contribute to the decision-making process regarding which opportunities to pursue and how to maintain and grow IntraHealth’s global portfolio.
- Liaise with project leaders, program staff, and field staff to collect and manage organizational information and knowledge and seek strategic opportunities for technical growth, synergy, and cost sharing.
- Track new opportunities on the internet and in professional literature, including announcements of proposal solicitations, analyses of funding trends, and developments in the field of global health.
- Represent IntraHealth to an array of external clients and stakeholders, such as partner agencies and technical consultants.
- Participate in ensuring coverage of administrative requirements of the department, such as meeting preparation, SharePoint management, and other knowledge management tasks.
- Master’s degree in public health, international studies or a related field of study and at least 2 years of experience in global health, global health funding, government agency funding, non-profit communication and fundraising, or other relevant work experience, or a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study and at least 4 years of related work experience
- Knowledge of the global health field/funding, funding applications, and/or general fundraising experience.
- At least 1 year of direct experience with US Government procurements, health preferred.
- Strong writing skills required, with marketing background desirable.
- Ability to work well with senior staff and technical contributors.
- Willingness to quickly learn about and become conversant in IntraHealth’s programs and technical capacities.
- Ability to handle stress and long hours in a fast-paced environment.
- Fluency in English and excellent English writing skills required; proficiency in French and/or Spanish highly desired.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe, and SharePoint.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically up to 25% time
- Position is based in an office, requiring sitting at a desk most of the day
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
Innovation: Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
Service Excellence: Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
Effective Communication (Oral and Written): Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behavior
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed upon strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; and monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
Interpersonal Relationships: Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across Divisions, Departments/Country Offices in a constructive and collaborative manne
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
About the Organization
Why Choose IntraHealth?
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work.
Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.