Business Development Officer
The Business Development Officer plays a key role in all aspects of new business acquisition at CCP under the guidance of the Business Development Director through three key functions:
- Positioning: Work with CCP’s technical program units, PR and Marketing team, and field staff to position CCP to win new business. This responsibility includes tracking and preparing for upcoming bids, including rebids, and supporting the development of winning partnerships.
- Systems: Strengthen and maintain the business processes that support the business development unit
- Proposal Process: Support the development of USAID and other donor proposals in collaboration with CCP’s technical program units, cost unit, and the field, from start to finish.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Position CCP for new business opportunities with support
- Monitor USAID, DFID and other donor forecasts and communications for relevant upcoming opportunities
- Review and summarize new business opportunities and potential partnerships in alignment with CCP priorities and strategic plan
- Assist with negotiations of pre-teaming and teaming agreements, and scopes of work with local and international partners
- Ensure up to date donor knowledge, and maintain relationships with CCP staff, potential partners and consultants, with guidance from the Business Development Director. This includes working collaboratively with technical program units and field staff to develop and implement intelligence gathering and positioning strategies to strengthen CCP stature, credibility, and likelihood of winning new business.
- Consider potential opportunities, intelligence, and information from positioning efforts and make specific bid recommendations including internal and external resource needs, with guidance from the Business Development Director.
- Collaborate with the PR and Marketing team to support strategic promotion of CCP’s accomplishment to complement new business efforts
- Develop and manage new business systems with support
- Identify tools, methods, and process that will improve CCP’s business development process and manage their implementation and use, with guidance from the Business Development Director.
- Support and build capacity of technical staff to manage the proposal development process, including ensuring the use of business development systems, processes and best practices to develop the most responsive and competitive proposals.
- Maintain the proposal calendar and monitor adherence to the defined process and deadlines for technical proposals, rosters/recruiting, proposal budgets, production schedules and quality standards for proposals. Work with the Business Development Director (and technical senior managers as required) to resolve issues with delays or other roadblocks in the proposal process.
- Manage Proposal Processes independently
- Reporting to the Business Development Director, facilitate development of competitive proposals including win strategy, partner strategy and cost strategy.
- Monitor and ensure responsiveness and compliance of proposals to the solicitation.
- Coordinate proposals to USAID, DFID, UNICEF, and other donors and foundations as needed
- Participate in, and/or lead, proposal writing as needed
- Develop proposal teams and provide guidance to ensure teams maintain compliance with donor and institutional new business requirements
- Provide guidance to senior technical staff to enable them to take leadership roles on relevant proposals
- Liaise between HQ technical, field, and finance staff, as well as with partners to ensure the development of best value cost strategies and a compliant cost proposal in alignment with the technical proposal.
- Provide support and guidance to partners to obtain required information and ensure the development of a collaborative, complete, and compliant proposal.
- Collaborate with the CCP Operations Specialist and relevant Team Leader to organize proposal-to-program handover meetings for successful proposals.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field (i.e. public health, health care management, international development, business administration, public policy, or equivalent experience in business development).
- At least four (4) years of related experience is required, with at least two (2) years of global health experience preferred.
- Significant work experience with USAID, DFID and/or other donor/foundation funding and demonstrated experience with management of winning bids
- Experience developing and/or reviewing proposal budgets and cost proposals
- Proposal experience with bilateral and multilateral agencies and large foundations in addition to USAID is strongly preferred
- Experience in health communication and/or knowledge management preferred
- Master’s Degree preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to manage complex processes and team relationships to ensure effective collaboration by various contributors to the process, including contributors from multiple offices/units and at all levels of the organization
- Excellent research, data analysis/synthesis, and presentation skills. Experience in organizing and managing and disseminating large and complex sets of business information
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English required
- Demonstrated ability to handle the high stress environment of business development with grace and a sense of humor
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated good judgment and ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously and work proactively
- Appreciation for the mission and vision of CCP