DAI is seeking a senior expert for the permanent, full-time role of Principal Consultant/Project Director within their busy Business Development Unit. The position will be based in Apsley, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. Become part of the thriving DAI business, located in spacious, bespoke offices, 30 minutes out of Euston - with excellent rail and motorway links to London and region.
The candidate will be responsible for driving the European business development strategy and a pipeline of new business opportunities for DAI Europe. They will help to ensure that DAI Europe and affiliated companies’ targets are achieved through the generation of proposals and bids of the highest quality whilst displaying marketing and technical expertise. The ideal candidate will maintain and enhance effective partnerships with the relevant client market and partner companies.
- Do you have an established network of relevant contacts within the European market?
- Do you have a background in international development?
- Do you have extensive experience of working with the European Commission?
- Is your technical expertise in, either: Governance and democracy; rural development, resilience and food security; environment and climate change; private sector and trade?
- Do you have fluent English capability and, preferably French?
Reporting to the Director, European Business Development, the candidate will work with an experienced and dedicated team to:
- develop new business opportunities across a range of markets in the international development sector and keep abreast of developments;
- identify specific opportunities, develop marketing strategies and lead efforts to expand DAI Europe’s practice areas into new markets;
- identify, organise and lead reconnaissance efforts in target countries;
- lead the development of technically sound and client-focused proposals;
- oversee, maintain and develop a network of client contacts and partner firms; collect and disseminate market intelligence;
- provide regular status reports and updates to senior colleagues and the business development teams to ensure business opportunities are maximised;
- positively influence the team to achieve results that are in the best interests of DAI Europe and affiliated companies.
We would like to hear from you if you are experienced at working with the European Commission, have technical expertise in one of DAI’s core areas and are fluent in English.
For the role the successful candidate will have:
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant field and extensive work experience in a development environment;
- driven and motivated by sales development and growth; track record in delivering goals and achieving targets;
- commercially astute with a talent for client development and management; proven negotiation skills;
- solid understanding of proposal development process, project management systems and best practices;
- experience working with major European donors;
- excellent skills in communication, planning and coordination;
- strong research and analytical skills
- proactive, assertive and action-oriented with strong intellectual agility and ability
- excellent interpersonal skills
- able to be flexible, versatile and tolerant in a changing work environment whilst maintaining effectiveness; ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
We are offering a competitive salary, commensurate with relevant experience, in addition to a generous benefits package.
The closing date for applications is Monday 18th February 2019. Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place progressively.
If you believe you have the above skills and experience, and you have the right to work within the EEA, we look forward to hearing from you.
About the Organization
DAI works on the frontlines of global development. Transforming ideas into action—action into impact. We are committed to shaping a more livable world.
We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. We work with a wide range of clients, including national and local governments, bilateral and multilateral donors, private corporations, and philanthropies.
Since 1970, we have worked in more than 150 countries—delivering results across the spectrum of international development contexts, from stable societies and high-growth economies to challenging environments racked by political or military conflict.