Business Development Specialist
Type – Full time (remote until further notice)
Location- Alexandria, VA
Reporting – Chief Executive Officer
Nascent Solutions is seeking a dynamic Business Development Specialist to lead the organization’s business development and capture activities. The incumbent will serve as the lead for business development (BD) and capture activities, oversee business development systems and processes for a growing partnership initiative. This position will work closely with Nascent’s program team, including technical staff, to gather required technical content for writing of compliant, responsive, and persuasive technical proposals for USG, European, and UN institutional and foundational opportunities.
Nascent is an African women-led international development organization founded in 2004 with a mission to harness the creative entrepreneurial skills of target beneficiaries and strengthen their capacity to champion the development agenda of their communities. In the last 17 years, Nascent has mobilized resources and implemented programs in food security, nutrition, education, and maternal and child health, impacting the lives of over 10 million people in several African countries. For more details, visit: www.nascents.org
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Proposal Development & Coordination: 60%
· Serve as lead writer and proposal coordinator for business development opportunities, ensuring high-quality concepts and timely response efforts, serving as the main point of contact and coordinating technical, cost, staffing, partnering, and operational teams.
· Position and manage all components of the proposal development process for targeted awards.
· Conduct ongoing BD-related research and data analyses to support the team.
· Coordinate and manage all components of the proposal development process.
· Provide capture leadership of assigned opportunities in support of the new business development unit and growth strategy, including capacity building of Nascent’s team.
· Determine, manage, and execute the full BD life-cycle process across multiple simultaneous bids and proposals, including with USG, other bilateral and private sector (corporate and foundation) donors.
· Track business development forecasts, assist with go/no-go decision making, manage pre-bid preparations, including coordinating and contributing to capture teams.
· Assist in developing methods and materials to communicate our work (priority technical areas) and the countries we serve (priority geographic areas) to clients.
· Coordinate business intelligence collection efforts and assist in the development of concept notes, letters of interest, and solicitation responses for contracts, grants, and cooperative agreements.
· Provide input and facilitate the coordination of strategic initiatives for Nascent’s growth in key regions and technical areas.
· Review RFPs/RFAs, support the design of proposal documents, timelines, templates, and processes that guide proposal development in an efficient manner.
· Lead the development of concise, client and partner-facing documents that demonstrate Nascent’s value-add.
· Draft teaming agreements, MOUs, and other efforts to improve new business development initiatives.
· Produce and maintain a strong network of agency connections in the international development and humanitarian community to leverage Nascent’s outreach and service provision.
· Stay abreast of current trends and occurrences in the international donor community to better understand our clients’ needs.
· Represent Nascent at conferences, career fairs, and other industry events.
OTHER JOB DUTIES:
Training and Lessons Learned: 10%
· Manage and or/support post submission and lessons-learned processes.
· Utilize program design expertise to guide and lead quality program design (involving US and field-based technical and finance colleagues) that builds on evidence-based approaches and is responsive to the guidelines and specification outlined by the donor.
· Maintain a productive work environment with appropriate training of other personnel.
· Support a fruitful team environment and complete other tasks and projects as needed.
Required Skills, Qualifications, and Attributes
• Master’s degree in international development and/or related discipline;
• 5-7 years’ experience working on writing technical proposals for major donors and business development, preferably with USG awards (USAID, State Dept, USDA).
• Ability to identify new business development opportunities.
• Knowledge of US government award mechanisms and procurement rules and regulations.
• Highly self-motivated and autonomous; ability to work with little guidance.
• Have a track record of successful capture management across organizations and programs at a variety of acquisition dimensions.
• Strong skills with Microsoft Office Suite, knowledgeable of PC-based word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database applications and demonstrated ability to use Internet as a research tool.
• Technical writing and proposal development experience in the NGO sector.
• Knowledge of and networks within the international development community.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with a proficiency in English.
• Exceptional time management skills with the ability to deliver under tight deadlines.
• Willingness and ability to undertake a broad range of tasks as necessary in a small, growing organization.
• Ability to communicate effectively in multidisciplinary and cross-cultural teams.
• Ability and willingness to travel internationally.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter that articulates how the applicant meets the qualifications, CV, and salary requirement to email@example.com. Please include “Business Development Specialist” in the email subject line. CVs without cover letters will not be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Closing date for applications is March 30, 2021. Salary commensurate with experience. Current work authorization in the United States is required.
About Nascent Solutions
Nascent Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, personal appearance, family responsibilities, or political affiliation. Nascent offers employees a competitive compensation package, including health insurance, paid vacation, 401(k), and a professional development stipend.