Job Title: Business Development Specialist II, Burkina Faso
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Job Location: Ouagadougou
Reports to: Country Representative
Salary Grade: 10
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
As Business Development (BD) Specialist II you will lead the production of high quality applications for funding in support of CRS’ engagement with institutional donors and initiatives involved in international development to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your knowledge and skills will allow you to provide specialized assistance in all dimensions of the BD cycle to cross-disciplines and cross-functional teams.
Women are encouraged to apply.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
· Provide BD expertise in positioning, capture planning and proposal preparation for specific opportunities with institutional donors (government and inter-governmental award issuing organizations, as well as foundations, corporations and other awarding non-governmental organizations).
· Coordinate proposal development processes to ensure timely submission of high quality proposals that are responsive to donor requirements, applicable regulations, and CRS’ technical and cost standards. Lead and support proposal budget processes and propose recommendations to develop a competitive proposal.
· As appropriate, serve as proposal coordinator or other lead role in proposal team, and participate in bid analysis and proposal review panels. Serve as a lead or support writer on proposals, contributing both technical and non-technical content and integrating inputs from staff and partners into a responsive, coherent proposal with a compelling vision and clear win themes.
· Train and mentor staff, as needed, to improve their skills in proposal development, representation to donor and partner organizations, intelligence-gathering, and marketing within their country program or portfolio.
· Support and guide identification of partners and negotiation of CRS’ role on proposal consortia, ensuring a competitive position for CRS that adheres to the agency’s partnership principles and strategic directions. Research, track and analyze new opportunities and CRS’ competitive position within the marketplace.
· Support senior management to cultivate and strengthen institutional relationships with institutional donors, partner organizations and other stakeholders.
· Work with appropriate staff to maintain data on past performance and corporate capacity, in order to provide timely information for proposal submissions.
· Bachelor’s degree in international development, international relations, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
· Minimum five years of international development and/or humanitarian experience, with at least three years experience in a developing country.
Required Languages - French and Native English skills
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 20 %.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture.
· Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
· Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
· Bilingual in French and English
· Experience in writing humanitarian and development proposals, highly desirable
· Demonstrated experience utilizing diverse, proactive strategies to competitively position his/her organization for new funding and productive institutional relationships.
· Exceptional writer with expert command of English grammar and AP style.
· Demonstrated experience leading and producing competitive proposals in programming contexts similar to CRS.
· Comprehensive familiarity with a broad range of institutional donor technical and cost requirements.
· Experience with both USAID RFP and RFA funding mechanisms highly desirable.
· Experience with non- USG donors, highly desirable.
· Familiarity with relevant institutional donor regulations, policies, procedures and priorities.
· Demonstrated experience managing teams and processes, leading teams to produce deliverables under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
Supervisory Responsibilities - BD focal point in Cote d’Ivoire.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal - Head of Programs, Head of Operations, Finance Manager, Procurement Manager, Program Managers and Grant Managers
External - Regional BD Specialist, DRD/PQ, RTAs, Headquarter Analysts and Technical staff, BD colleagues
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.