Join the Media Platform for the Global Development Community.
You: an energetic, motivated and experienced journalist or communications specialist with superb research, editing and writing skills. You have in-depth and practical knowledge of salient global development topics and trends and are excited about leveraging social media to shine a light on the most development important issues of our time.
The Business Editor will lead the production of paywalled articles for our subscriber base of aid professionals. Devex’s paywalled content ranges from long-form features to interviews to practical content. Our audiences vary from the top executives at the largest aid and development organizations to frontline managers and professionals in all corners of the world.
Us: a buzzed-about social enterprise committed to changing the world through our audience of one million aid workers and development professionals. An international organization founded at the Harvard Kennedy School, Devex is headquartered in Washington, DC, and has offices in Barcelona and Manila and reporters around the world.
Our diverse global team includes 130 web-savvy journalists, analysts, developers, designers, and marketers. We cover the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time, and professionals at NGOs like Save the Children, CARE, ONE, and the Gates Foundation rely on us to be in-the-know.
You will have an opportunity to grow and learn from sharp, committed colleagues, and be part of an innovative culture that’s low on bureaucracy and high on impact (and fun). Get to know us better by checking out our tumblr page.
Why this position is great for you:
- We cover the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time
- You’ll be joining a global news team whose content is read by major leadership figures in the global development sector as well as the professionals on the ground in every country in the world
- We produce a mix of exciting content, including full-length features.
- Professionals at Save the Children, CARE, ONE, Gates Foundation and more rely on us to be in-the-know
- We’re an exciting, dynamic enterprise that’s growing fast and that has an open, collaborative culture
- No bureaucracy here: you’ll get to own your work and will get the support you need
- Want to get ahead? We’re filled with stories of people who joined Devex and moved up, and up, and up. And that’s exactly what we’re looking for from you
- Work with Devex’s team of reporters and editors as well as freelancers around the world to shepherd the production of paywalled content for our various bands of subscribers
- Commission and edit content and manage major editorial projects as well as create your own articles
- Serve our audience with the stories they need to know about and help achieve internal engagement targets
- Work closely with other Devex teams, including Global Membership, online events and our careers editorial team
- Develop metrics to measure how this content is consumed and how to measure its success
Desired Skills and Experience
- 3-5 years of journalism or communications experience, including web media, social media
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong writing skills and an analytical mindset
- Experience in editing, commissioning, and writing content - including long-form features, interviews, and practical articles aimed at a targeted audience behind a paywall
- Experience working with freelance contributors
- An intimate understanding of topics relevant to senior leaders in the development sector
- An intimate understanding of topics relevant to development and humanitarian professionals, including pay/gender/lifestyle or other areas that Devex may cover
- Strong knowledge of how the World Bank, USAID, United Nations and/or U.S. government function and passion for development issues including impact investing, the role of sustainable business models in development and the growth of private foundations
- Existing work authorization in the United States or Europe
- Experiencing managing a small team of writers and/or freelance contributors
Job Location: Washington, D.C. or Barcelona (though other locations may be considered for exceptional candidates)
Get the conversation started by submitting an application now! Interested applicants may submit their CV and cover letter. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About the Organization
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding & career opportunities so you can do more good for more people. Devexers live our mission, and bring their top-notch academic and professional credentials to work every day to change the world.