Business Environment Reform (BER) Lead – Nairobi, Kenya
Kenya Sustainable Urban Economic Development (SUED)
- Exciting opportunity to enable inclusive growth in Kenya’s secondary towns and cities
- 6 years, starting June 2017
- Nairobi, Kenya
Kenya Sustainable Urban Economic Development (SUED) will promote market-driven, climate-smart growth in emerging towns, cities and growth corridors. It will do this through an integrated supply and demand-side approach in tackling sustainable urban economic development challenges in 10-12 priority counties and towns. Specifically, it will facilitate public-private investment in sustainable infrastructure and value chain projects, alongside building the capacity of county authorities to improve their urban economic planning and enable business environment reforms. The programme aims to achieve these objectives through four components: Urban economic planning; improved sub-national level business environment reform; Implementation of an Urban Infrastructure Advisory Facility, and; strengthening rural-urban value chains.
We require a Business Environment Reform expert with experience of identifying factors hindering business, ideally in a participatory process, with experience of leading local government capacity-building activities, and legislative drafting resulting in successful implementation. You will lead interventions that aim to facilitate regulatory, legal and policy reform, public-private dialogue and inclusive and consultative mechanisms for business reform at the local level. More specifically, you will help identify and support reforms that focus on the needs of the poor and informal businesses noting that the formalisation of informal firms is critical to growth in investment levels. You will provide technical leadership and oversee the development of the strategy for BER activities, and their translation into effective programme-wide work plans. With technical support, you will be responsible for the design and delivery of BER interventions, supervising and coordinating the work of Business Environment Reform specialists during the implementation phase of the programme. You will have experience of working within Kenya and understand the complexities around national and county level of authority.
- An advanced university degree (or equivalent) in the fields of law, economics, public policy, business administration, or other relevant.
- At least 10 years of experience of assisting governments and private sector entities with legal reform, legislative drafting and capacity building in order to improve the business environment in the respective context, ideally including work in Kenya on County level or at least in East Africa.
- Extensive experience of analysing factors hindering business (ideally in a participatory approach), drafting legislative improvements and implementing these.
- Experience of successfully building the capacity of government officials and institutions, preferably at local/regional government levels, in order to help improve the business-enabling environment; including through the design and delivery of training.
- Strong knowledge of Kenya’s business-enabling factors, including institutional capacity on a national and country level.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver results on donor-funded programmes in challenging and fast-changing environments.
- Working knowledge of DFID’s approaches to market development, and experience in supporting programme design.
- Knowledge and experience of delivering DFID programmes, including ensuring value for money throughout the project lifecycle.
How to Apply Please follow the links below
Applications Close: 22 January 2017.
Coffey-Tetra Tech has a 40 year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors right around the world, including Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, USAID and the UK’s Department for International Development. Our people work side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth and good governance, positively changing people’s lives.
About the OrganizationMSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI implements nearly 100 projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Morocco, Lebanon, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with more than 80 organizations across all sectors of international development with clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.