Alterna is looking for a highly qualified and driven professional to join the Thriive and Business Inclusion Culivation team and support Alterna’s high growth trajectory as it leads the sector of social innovation and entrepreneurship in Central America and beyond.
This Fellow will be an integral part of the team responsible for designing, executing and managing the Thriive and Business Inclusion Cultivation program. Utilizing a methodology built from seven years of launching our own social businesses and working directly with entrepreneurs in the community, Alterna Fellows to date have successfully helped advise over 1,000 entrepreneurs to help them to strengthen and scale their businesses.
This Fellow will be a part of the cohort joining Alterna on August 6, 2018, with a minimum 8-month commitment.
A. Support Thriive Guatemala in the management and execution of the selection processes for its 2018 program, a program that provides training, advisory, mentorship and innovative financing to ~15-18 selected local businesses in a growth trajectory. Responsibilities include:
* Support and participate in initial training workshops for top applicants in subjects such as basic finance, computer skills, etc.; help manage entrepreneur evaluation process throughout workshops
* Assist team in interviews with the top applicants in order to better understand and evaluate the business model and the level, commitment, and abilities of the entrepreneur
* Support U.S. and Guatemala Thriive team in site visits to top applicants throughout neighboring communities to further evaluate the business, the entrepreneur, and the potential for scale and impact
* Upon selection of program participants, develop comprehensive profiles of entrepreneurs & their businesses
B. Support Thriive Guatemala in the ongoing management, support and advisory of 2018 participants
* Support and participate in ongoing Cultivation workshops in subjects such as customer segmentation, value proposition, accounting, finance, business model optimization, community impact, business action and growth plan, and more, providing 1:1 mentorship and advisory to entrepreneurs
* Assist Thriive team in program management as needed in areas such as: ongoing reporting, the purchase and installment of machinery, processes of repayment, etc.
C. Support and actively participate in Business Inclusion Cultivation workshops, both in partnership with Thriive and beyond
* Support Basic Inclusion team in the preparation of materials for workshops
* Actively participate in the advisory and 1:1 mentorship for entrepreneurs
* Provide follow-up and ongoing support to entrepreneurs as needed
D. Support in the knowledge-transfer and program implementation for partners that employ Alterna’s Inclusion methodology in their own communities
* Assist in the design and systematization of Alterna’s Inclusion methodology as the team prepares for knowledge transfer with new partners
* Support permanent team in the training of new partners and full implementation and scale of the program in new markets
* Assist in the expansion of the Inclusion program in the region, including identification of new high-potential opportunities to generate local impact
E. Provide support in other Cultivation activities and objectives, such as:
* Ongoing systematization of processes and materials
* Continuously researching innovative approaches, ideas and best practices in the areas of impact investing and social entrepreneurship
* Participation in a variety of sector events, such as FLII CA&C (The Latin American Impact Investing Forum for Central America and the Caribbean), a forum hosted by Alterna in November 2018 that brings together over 500 international and regional actors in impact investing and social entrepreneurship
Please note that the Fellow will work closely with the Director of Thriive, Manager of Business Inclusion Cultivation, and supporting team members to execute and receive feedback and support on defined activities.
Key areas of experience for a successful candidate include:
* Professional experience (ideally 2-5 years) in related career, including but not limited to consulting, economic / international development, non-profit program management, and more
* Bachelor’s degree in relevant area of study, including but not limited to Business Administration, Economics, International Relations, and more; Masters Degree highly valued
* Excellent Spanish and English language skills, both written and verbal
* Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
* Knowledge and passion for the social entrepreneurship and impact investment sector is highly desired
Key personal skills and abilities include:
* Demonstrated balance of autonomy and self-drive with strong skills in team collaboration
* Detail-oriented and well-organized, with demonstrated abilities in project management and multitasking
* Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, manage complexity, and adapt to challenges
* Humility, empathy and cultural sensitivity
* A sense of humor and contagious energy
Please note that the Fellowship is self-funded by the Fellow. In return of this investment of your talent and experience, Fellows will get the unique opportunity to:
* Join the pioneer organization of the impact sector in Central America and gain unparalleled exposure to initiatives that are breaking boundaries in a rapidly developing region
* Advance a diverse professional skill set and generate a lasting impact on Alterna and on the ecosystem
* Gain hands-on experience in a developing context and the Latin American entrepreneurship ecosystem, granting first-hand insights on systematic complexities and best practices in social innovation
* Connect with a network of over ~1,000+ regional entrepreneurs and a wide-reaching network of global impact leaders, presenting invaluable opportunities for professional connections and opportunities
* Work in an exciting, multicultural setting with the international, passionate, and fun-loving tribe of Alterna
* Seize a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to live the rich history, culture, and reality of Guatemala, the heart of the Mayan civilization and Central America’s most diverse country, with extraordinary access to captivating landscapes, adventures, and cultural experiences
HOW TO APPLY
We look for innovators; those who are excited by challenges; those who are looking to dive into problems head first; those who don’t take no for an answer and if you like to have fun while you work we wouldn’t be disappointed. If this is you, please fill out the Fellow Application Form from our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/fellows) and send it with your CV to email@example.com.
Please see our “Frequently Asked Questions” section on our website (http://www.alternaimpact.org/fellows).
Have a question that you couldn’t find there? Email a member of our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.