Business Pursuit Manager
Purpose of role:
To provide business development leadership and coordination for identified VSO Country Offices (Ethiopia, Kenya and Rwanda); responsible for optimizing income generation and business development from a diverse range of donors in support of VSO’s programmes and regional operations
Funding strategy aligned to programme priorities:
* Contribute to a global, coordinated fundraising strategy, centred around VSO’s Core programme areas and Signature Programmes and ensure consistency and coherence in funder and partnership engagement across funding portfolio in region;
* Lead on researching new funding opportunities, strengthening and sustaining partnerships with commercial contractors, INGOs, private sector, government institutional donors, trusts and foundations and major donors;
* Provide intensive support to regions and country offices to develop, implement and monitor ambitious funding strategies that deliver agreed restricted income targets;
* Work with regional teams/country offices to ensure funding plans reflects programme strategy and appropriate national and regional donor mapping is up to date;
* Provide inputs into the global funding strategy as required from time to time;
* Pursue regional/or multicounty opportunities;
* Ensure funding data on pipeline and match funding liabilities is accurately reflected in our systems for the respective countries;
* Business development coordination - coordinate the activities and contribution of various business development teams in the region/countries including public fundraising, marketing, and donor teams.
Pre-positioning, donor and partner engagement: Externally
* Support CO staff to identify priority partners and support on this engagement including with I/NGOs and other development actors, governments etc in support of joint programming and consortia opportunities;
* Prepare materials needed to facilitate donor engagement and bolster VSO’s reputation and credibility with potential funders and consortia partners;
* Provide leadership and support to advance VSO’s visibility and reputation with identified strategic partners globally (among donor communities, private sector and development networks) in support of joint-bid opportunities at the national and regional levels.
* Conduct country level analysis to understand the funding environment / trends and help shape the direction of programming to ensure alignment
* Share analysis on funding opportunities, Pipeline Matrix, and pipeline health (proposal tracker) with regional and country teams to inform regional planning and pre-positioning;
* Ensure that an accurate and timely overview of funding priorities and pipeline health and analysis are shared;
* Lead proposal development, coordinating with donor, proposal development and technical teams;
* Provide leadership to country teams on bid development processes and ensure laid out procedures are followed for each proposal submitted at country level;
* Lead negotiations with partners to ensure financial and programmatic needs are met;
* Review proposals and provide assurance to ensure quality submissions;
* Manage and write specific proposals when required.
* Ensure visibility of VSO in the region/selected countries by attending/or ensuring attendance of workshops, meetings and networking events that provide an opportunity to showcase its work, provide leadership in the volunteering for development space and build new partnerships;
* Liaise with marketing and country teams to ensure appropriate go-to market material is developed.
* Build country office capacity to network, engage and pre-position through own efforts or in collaboration with other BD team members.
Business development coordination
* Coordinate the activities and contribution of various business development teams in the region/countries including public fundraising, marketing, and donor teams.
* More than 6 years managing business pursuit activities within the international development space for an INGO or development consulting firm.
* Experience of developing funding strategies and delivering income against targets;
* Proven ability to research new funding opportunities and to make appropriate judgements about their potential to realise significant restricted income;
* Experience of establishing and cultivating strong donor relationships that have delivered substantially increased income ;
* Proven track record in writing winning donor proposals for donors including USAID, EC, UKAID, SIDA and UN Agencies - including proven ability to develop log frames, monitoring frameworks, and theories of change;
* Experience of preparing compelling, high quality documentation (concept notes, presentations, proposals, budgets, reports, log frames, theories of change etc) for different donor and partner audiences ;
* Familiarity with M&E tools; theories of change, monitoring frameworks, and basic evaluation techniques;
* Strong interpersonal skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills used in international settings - experience of leading and facilitating workshops and training ;
* Ability to be self-directed and take initiative within organisational mandates - strong administrative and organisational skills ;
* Experience of establishing partnerships between organisations including teaming agreement and consortia bid development;
* Strong administrative and organizational skills: ability to be self-directed and take initiative
* Strong analytical and financial and skills;
* Educated to post-graduate degree level in international development-related discipline;
* IT skills including fluency in Microsoft Office suite and database usage;
* Experience of living and working internationally (4+ years required);
* Fluency in English (written and spoken). Portuguese, French or other language desirable;
* Ability to travel globally (estimated 30-50% travel required