The Cost Proposal Officer supports the International Finance (IF) and Strategic Partnerships (SP) departments as one of the key liaisons for cost application/proposal budget development. Additional responsibilities include supporting IF and the International Programs Department (IPD) in award management and compliance, and assisting with financial management as needed. This position is a local hire and may be located in an LWR office in Lima, Managua, San Salvador, Bogota, or Tegucigalpa. Although located in Latin America, this position may also support application/proposal budget development for all LWR regions.
New Business Development Support
- In collaboration with Strategic Partnerships (SP), work on new and existing funder bids as well as support large, complex modifications to existing awards;
- Prepare cost application/proposal budgets in response to funder solicitations, working with the country office staff, IPD in Baltimore, SP, and other IF staff, as needed;
- Participate in proposal kick-off and coordination meetings;
- Provide direction and instructions to partners for the development of sub-award or subcontractor budgets; and provide high quality review of partner budgets;
- Ensure that pre-award risk analyses are complete and potential sub-grantees are vetted;
- Evaluate LWR’s full cost recovery, and ensure both direct and indirect costs are incorporated in all cost applications;
- Coordinate with other staff members in order to provide current and accurate cost and pricing information;
- Ensure budgeted project costs align with the project design;
- Finalize budgets for application/proposal submission, including mapping from LWR budget template to donor required formats;
- Ensure compliance with LWR and donor regulations during budget development;
- Prepare budget notes to support cost applications/proposals;
- Participate in award hand-off meetings with SP and IPD after an award is approved and signed in order to support the transition to award implementation;
- Work with IF to develop or improve templates and tools for efficient and effective cost proposal preparation according to donor and industry best practices.
Award Management Compliance
- Serve as a key resource to LWR program and finance staff on donor rules and regulations and related compliance matters;
- Provide technical assistance to IPD (headquarters and overseas) and the SP unit in the identification and mitigation of compliance risks associated with new and existing awards/projects;
- Work closely with IPD, SP and IF on the implementation and use of effective tools, systems, and policies and procedures that ensure consistent compliance with donor requirements and LWR policies and procedures;
- Provide training to partner and LWR staff in order to increase the capacity to meet compliance requirements; work closely with IPD and IF to develop and implement compliance training curriculums;
- Support IPD staff to analyze and monitor project “burn rates” and variances, and follow up with relevant staff and partners;
- Support IF to complete donor financial reports accurately and on-time according to the award reporting schedule;
- Review partner financial compliance in conjunction with country finance team
- Support program and grants managers in creating new tools for budget tracking; Assist International Finance to update and improve budget templates
- Provide support to finance staff to ensure proper tracking of financial details related to awards, including direct, indirect and cost share expenditures;
- Develop new methods of tracking cash or non-cash cost share;
- Review and analyze LWR and partner compliance with donor regulations, budgets, and LWR policies and procedures. Forward information on variances to IF and IPD management;
- Participate in selected project kick-off meetings and provide appropriate training to partners and LWR staff on financial management.
Financial Management and Accounting Support
- Provide additional accounting support and guidance as needed;
- Provide financial management training for capacity building as instructed.
- Deep commitment to LWR’s core values and ability to model those values in relationships with colleagues and partners
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Finance or Accounting; a Master’s Degree is a plus
- 3 to 5 years in accounting and financial management.
- Experience in proposal budget development for U.S. Government agencies and other donors.
- Work experience with an international relief and development agency.
- Superior analytical skills and attention to detail, and strong work ethic.
- Knowledge of US government grant-making rules and regulations.
- Familiarity with accounting software packages.
- High proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to effectively represent organization to internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with local and /or international non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations, and other grassroots organizations.
- Ability to develop and deliver effective training curricula on finance and administrative topics, especially to a finance audience.
- Fluency in English and Spanish with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to travel 20% of the time.
To apply, please visit http://lwr.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-761503.html
About the OrganizationLutheran World Relief (LWR) is a non-governmental organization founded in 1945 to respond to the needs of communities devastated by World War II. Since then, it has evolved from a relief agency shipping material resources to war-torn Europe to an agency that works with partners worldwide to respond to emergencies, seek lasting solutions to rural poverty, and work for peace and justice for all. LWR works to promote equity, strengthen organizational capacity, and empower communities to have a voice in decisions that affect their lives, while continually learning to increase our impact. Headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland, LWR works to reduce poverty and injustice by helping communities increase and expand the resources they need to live productive, healthy and empowered lives.