TO APPLY: Please visit https://careers-ibtci.icims.com/jobs/1336/senior-director%2c-afe3-practice/job
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over two hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. This position is based at our headquarters in Vienna, VA.
Position Title: Senior Director, AFE3 Practice
Reports to: Vice President, or Designee
Position Description: This is a Full-time Exempt position
IBTCI is seeking an experienced and motivated Senior Director, to support its work inAgriculture & Food Security and E3 Practice. The work in AFE3 Practice currently covers, but not limited to, the thematic areas of: Agriculture, Food Security, Environment, Education, & Economic Growth (E3). This position will be based primarily in our Headquarters in Vienna, Virginia, with some time in IBTCI’s Washington DC office. (Practice assignment and office location within WDC metro area could change based on market demand and company discretion).
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities
Program Management responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Under the oversight of the Vice President, Technical Services or his/her designee:
- Accountable and responsible for the assigned project implementation and management activities of the Practice.
- Management of practice IDIQs, projects and task orders.
- Serve as primary US-based point-of-contact for project.
- Representing the firm in proposal and project meetings with staff, partners and clients.
- Strategic oversight for contract implementation including overseeing technical, logistical and operational aspects of contracts.
- Oversee staff and consultant recruitment for existing projects.
- Supervise staff in the home and field offices, including directors, chiefs of parties, senior technical specialists, etc.
- Manage quality control activities on work products submitted by staff and consultants.
- Responsible for budget development and management for proposals and contracts.
- Prepare, or assist in the development of scopes of work (SOW) for personnel, subcontractors, and activities.
- Facilitate development of personnel and sub-contractor contracts and agreements.
- Manage relationships with U.S. and internationally-based consultants and sub-contractors.
- Travel is essential, and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas.
Technical responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Assist the Vice Presidents, Technical Services or designee(s) in providing thought leadership in technical inputs and training activities:
Assume team leadership/support roles on projects:
- Responsible for all aspects of the quarterly/annual project management cycles, including periodic client communications and meetings, LOE and budget tracking/adjustments, managing project staff (support, technical advisors and consultants), providing overall project oversight that may include periodic visits to the field.
- Overall responsibility for the creation of all contractual deliverables and ensuring the quality of the final output. Play a leadership role in helping teams find the best option to execute the technical work. To this end, this position is expected to offer creative and technically sound solutions early in the planning stages of projects and subsequently working as an integrated member of a multi-disciplinary team to engage project challenges with the end-goal of owning responsive and compliant execution.
Serve as a senior technical expert in multiple capacities/roles including:
- Assist in reviewing, amending, and authoring reports from a technical perspective in order to ensure top quality deliverables
- Provide qualitative and/or quantitative analysis in support of ongoing projects/evaluations;
- Program evaluations, assessments and related sector or policy studies;
- Lead or provide assistance in the design of performance management systems and evaluation frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Conduct analyses of evaluations and other studies;
- Provide M&E and Learning training and other specialized services as required.
Business Development responsibilities include, but not limited to:
In consultation with the Vice President, Technical Services or his/her designee(s) responsibility for the business development activities:
- Assist in the development of, and follow-through with, practice strategic and business plans.
- Lead and/or provide overall contributions to the technical approaches of proposals including, but not limited to, conceptual frameworks and methodologies.
- Proactive business development and marketing, including but not limited to Identification, initiation and follow-through on new business development opportunities;
- Responsible for a significant level of business development activity, primarily within the Practice/ Company but also ranging into cross-practice initiatives.
- Undertake both proactive, and responsive roles, e.g., bid/no-bid vetting, proposal development, proposal writing, teaming, recruitment, and proposal management, to include all support activities through to timely submission of high quality corporate offers. This contribution should produce well-coordinated and compelling proposals, which not only address stated needs, but also clearly articulate fundamental challenges and the risk mitigation strategies, and innovation opportunities.
- Represent IBTCI at meetings with partners, clients and consultants.
Additional Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Represent IBTCI in industry conference and workshops.
- Author white papers, reports, or briefs to promote IBTCI intellectual prowess in its product and services
- Provide in-house training to home and field staff on M&E methodologies or sector-related subject matter.
- In consultation with Vice President, Technical Services or designee(s), to stay informed on industry market trends, best practices and state-of-the-art developments, and share with IBTCI Principals and staff to ensure that the firm remains in the forefront of M&E, E3 in international development.
- Attend corporate meetings and contribute to strategic and business plans as needed.
- Other duties/tasks as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in strategic planning and business planning.
- Experience in managing and supervising a team of Project Directors who are responsible for managing projects of scale (over $10 million dollars).
- Management of a variety of contractual mechanisms.
- Management of multiple projects in a variety of settings simultaneously.
- Experience designing, implementing and managing Monitoring, Evaluation ad Learning projects for international development clients, and especially for USAID and US Department of State.
- In-depth expertise in at least one of the M&E-related activities such as evaluation study design, sampling, qualitative and quantitative analysis, instrument design, field survey management and authoring reports.
- Led technical presentations at international conferences, workshops, and symposia.
- Experience in Human / Institutional Capacity Development (HICD) or related field.
- Experience in Knowledge Management and Information Technology or related filed.
- Experience in all aspects of the business proposal process: capture strategy management; teaming/partnering; research; recruitment; writing; red-teaming; support to costing.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) required.
- Demonstrable results oriented, flexible and problem solving skills.
- Familiarity with the development consulting and NGO community and its actors.
- Overseas experience working in international development.
- Demonstrable results oriented, flexible and problem solving skills.
- Fluency in the English language is required and a working competence in another language, in particular French, is highly desired.
Master’s degree or the equivalent advanced degree in:
- International Affairs, International Development, Policy Analysis, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration, Statistics/Social Research, Health, Agriculture or related fields.
Progressively senior management positions including:
- Eight (8) Years of experience in monitoring and evaluation (M&E), research, learning, and/ or knowledge management experience.
- Ten (10) years of managing projects and senior staff, including (5) years from the home office / headquarters.
- Fifteen (15) years of work experience across one of the Practice Areas of IBTCI, preferably in foreign assistance programs.
Supervisory Responsibility: CoP(s)/ Team Leader(s), Director(s), Manager(s) and Associate(s) may report to this position.
Travel: An average of 25% to 35% travel for project implementation and/or project management of business development initiatives. (Percentages may vary depending on portfolio of projects and IBTCI practice needs).
Work Authorization: Candidate must be authorized to work in the U.S.A
Apply for this job online
Email this job to a friend
Share on your newsfeed
Working Conditions: Work is performed in a typical corporate office environment.
Physical Requirements: Ability to lift up to twenty five pounds.
No phone calls please. Applications will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination of race, creed, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. We are an E-verify employer.