We are welcoming applications for Grants Managers for many upcoming programmes in the UK, Africa, and Asia that we expect to tender for during 2021 and 2022.
The projects are expected to be mobilised in mid-late 2021; they will run for 4-6 years and be funded by various UK government departments such as DEFRA, FCDO, BEIS, and private sectors clients.
We are particularly keen to hear from Grants Managers who can:
- Deliver ambitious, complex, innovative, multi-country projects and programmes across various sectors, themes, and across many teams.
2. Craft the best mix of tailored support to governments through programmes with a range of instruments (e.g. expert technical assistance, finance and grants to build capacity, work with private firms and supply chains, private and blended finance and incubation, knowledge services) in themes or sectors such as health, decent work and economic growth, technology, climate change, biodiversity, human rights, governance, education, green growth, supply chains, WASH
Depending on the project, the roles may be based at clients “home” cities, such as London, Brussels, Washington DC, Abuja, Accra, Jakarta, New Delhi, Sao Paulo, Bogota, Mexico City. Palladium has offices locations that may offer some location flexibility.
- Lead establishment, process flow and implementation of the eligibility, application and selection criteria for the fund
- Manage the overall grant portfolio and ensure activities are on track to meet targets
- Coordinate the process of submissions of grant funding requests (including requests for applications, receipt of applications, address questions from potential grantees, internal coordination.)
- Contribute to and prepare the grant allocation, disbursements, and forecast schedules, as required
- Lead team in tracking all financial disbursements to grantees
- Lead on confirming eligibility of grantees. Evaluate each funding request in collaboration with other relevant team members.
- Work in collaboration with the programme team throughout the grant implementation to review and refresh Due Diligence on potential grantees such that the team can take the necessary care, attention and discretion before signing and amending grant agreements and during the implementation.
- Track and report risks. Coordinate risk management measures throughout the life of the grants. This includes ensuring grantee compliance concerning their grant agreement and reporting any risk or issue.
- Lead Palladium’s participation in monthly portfolio review meeting with the team and client as required, and provide updates, including on the risk dashboard
- Monitor grants implementation, including work plans and budgets submitted by the grantees, and manage funding to grantees. Provide support to the grantees, verify that the grant activities are progressing as per the Grant Agreement requirements, and that any variances to the workplan are explained and justified.
- Verify that the appropriate milestone / contractual point has been reached successfully, coordinate review meetings with relevant grantees and Project Management representatives.
- Lead on contract amendments, with support from the Project Manager and other relevant team members,
· Ensure that each grantee purchases goods and services according to the appropriate Procurement policy and guidelines. Ensure that good and services are maintained according to processes and specifications that maximise quality and minimise lifetime cost and fully comply with asset management guidelines.
· At closeout, verify the completion of all grant-funded activities, confirm that they are completed to the expectations set out in the Grant Agreement, and confirm that all the expected deliverables have been provided and outputs achieved. Any variances to either the technical implementation of the budget must be explained and justified.
· Work with team members in the preparation and completion of financial audits as required.
· Financial Management
· Ensure the project provides and demonstrates value for money
· Ensure the project adheres to the budget and oversee budget variations and contract amendments
· Provide financial management, reporting and control and ensure financial propriety is maintained and that funds are spent for the required purpose in line with the financial plan
· Hold overall responsibility for monitoring project expenditures, preparing budget analytics documents and expenditure forecasts, amendments, assisting in preparing financial reports and being the interface for external project audits.
· Project Management
· Provide guidance, oversight and quality assurance for all project activities, outputs and deliverables.
· Support the effective implementation of work plans to ensure delivery is on time, within budget, meets client and stakeholder expectations and is contractually compliant.
· Monitor implementation progress; maintain up to date project logs and registers; work to resolve issues; manage and mitigates risks; and escalate material issues and risks as appropriate.
· Develop and implement plans for communication management.
· Ensure good staff management practices, including staff planning, recruitment, onboarding, appraisal and development.
· Develop and manage strong working relationships with the project’s client, project partners and other stakeholders.
· Represent the project both with the client and external audiences as needed
· Develop strong working relationships and regular dialogue on project progress and challenges with the Palladium team working on the project
· Contribute to Palladium’s Grant and Fund Management Community of Practice
· Ensure that grantees meet grant reporting requirements in a timely and accurate fashion, including quarterly narrative and financial reporting; review and provide feedback to the grantees and feed into Project Management’s Reporting Requirements.
· Work with the Project Management team in preparation of quarterly and annual reports and work-plans.
· Support the Project Manager with internal reporting requirements
· Lead on client reporting requirements, including attending Steering Committee meetings when required
· As a core member of the Senior Management Team, the GL will report directly to a Palladium Project Director that will be based in the UK.
· You will be supported by project and programme management specialists, including technical, operational, and financial managers.
· Lead, guide, mentor and manage the performance of project staff;
· Optimise benefits of diverse and inclusive teams, including understanding and planning for others’ positions and needs, providing formal recognition of team member contributions, and coaching and nominating team members for development opportunities;
· Develop and maintain a positive and productive working relationship with partners and any subcontractors
· An academic qualification economics, international development, political science, public policy, sustainable finance, public finance, economics, or a related field, or a good relevant experience if no academic qualification is available.
· Significant experience in delivering complex, multi-million pounds (or equivalent currency) grant or fund management programmes, specifically in the UK public or private sector (e.g. DEFRA, FCDO, BEIS)
· Strong understanding of grant and fund management best practices, tools, mechanisms
· Experience in grant management supporting at least one of the following sectors (e.g. health, decent work and economic growth, technology, climate change, biodiversity, human rights, governance, education, green growth, supply chains, WASH)
· Experience in using Grants Management Information Systems
· Proven ability to manage and motivate a team to deliver impact and support professional growth successfully
· Ability to develop, nurture and manage relationships with partner organisations in line with the programmes’ and clients’ working principles and standards
· Financial and commercial acumen, sufficient to interpret and analyse programme financial reports
· Excellent leadership, representation, organisational and interpersonal skills, both in-person and remotely
· Familiarity with donor/client programme management, reporting, compliance and M&E systems.