Abt Britain is seeking both short and long-term Health System Strengthening experts for programmes across the world, particularly in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. We are looking for a range of expertise with proven experience in the following technical areas in developing countries and/or fragile states at the institutional or societal level: capacity building and training, epidemiological and entomological monitoring, disease mapping, and the management of monitoring and mapping activities.
Abt Britain is looking for experts with proven experience delivering health impacts to achieve programme outcomes in complex and challenging operational environments. Candidates will need to convey this impact through their applications and have clear examples to illustrate this impact. The individuals should also be value driven, in alignment with Abt Associates: being committed to excellence, mission-driven, global in their outlook, collaborative and holding themselves accountable through the work they do.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience in the design or implementation of NTD control and elimination programmes
- Demonstrated experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis
- Master’s degree in related field
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills are required
- Fluency in English is required
- Fluency in other languages is highly advantageous (French, Spanish, Portuguese, KiSwahili and local/regional languages)
General Professional Experience:
- Minimum of 10 years demonstrated combined relevant education and professional experience, including 5+ years in managing and leading tropical health programmes in the areas of surveillance and mapping, capacity building or research to control and eliminate disease
- In-country experience in your technical field, with demonstrable impact
- Work experience liaising with and supporting the private sector, governments, regional or international organisations and/or civil society organisations in developing countries
- Experience working on donor funded programmes, such as for the UK Department of International Development (DFID), as well as other international organisations, such as the World Bank, World Health Organization, USAID and Clinton Health Access Initiative
- Work experience in fragile or conflict-affected states is highly advantageous
- Experience working with DFID and/or in one or more of DFID’s priority aid recipient countries is preferred but not essential
Please submit your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your email please tell us about your technical and subject matter expertise so we can align capabilities to further our mission – to improve the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide.
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, climate change, and international development. Known for its rigorous approach to solving complex challenges, Abt Associates is regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators. Our global staff of more than 2,300 people conducts innovative studies and implements remarkable projects.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com