Job DescriptionPosition Overview:
Room to Read is a global non-profit organization focusing on primary school literacy and gender equality in education. We are seeking an experienced Reading Specialist for an anticipated USAID early grade improvement program in Cambodia. The Reading Specialist will be responsible for developing and implementing strategies for increasing early grade reading and helping to build the capacity of local stakeholders to implement and sustain this work. The Reading Specialist will work closely with the project leadership and other technical experts to align the coaching program with materials and resources, and training programming, designed to achieve project outcomes. Employment is contingent upon successful award of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities May Include:
- Perform a detailed review of project materials (workplans, timelines, background documents, technical content, etc.) in order to understand the scope of the project.
- Provide support to the development of training schedules for teachers, coaches, and other education stakeholders. Support the coordination of these trainings as necessary.
- Attend trainings and perform school visits across Cambodia to observe and provide feedback on project implementation and project materials.
- Coordinate with other members of the project consortium and MOEYS counterparts as necessary to ensure successful and timely project implementation. Attend and report back on project meetings with other consortium members.
- Be an advocate for Room to Read’s programs and approach to literacy development.
- Participate in regular check-ins with project leadership and with local project staff.
- Review technical content (such as Teaching and Learning materials, Training Modules, etc.) and provide feedback on these materials. Provide support to the development of additional technical content as necessary.
- Masters’ degree in education or a related field;
- At least 5 to 10 years of experience in developing programs for teacher training including materials for teachers and coaches.
- Experience teaching at the early grade level;
- Experience mentoring early grade teachers;
- Understanding the context of the education system in Cambodia
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly throughout the country
- Fluency in English is required
Cambodia - GO Asia
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled