The Capacity and Governance Technical Advisor will provide technical, strategic advice and programmatic direction for the capacity building of government agencies in the development and implementation of HMIS aspects of the activity, for optimizing the generation, identification, collection, processing, storage, and dissemination of quality data and strategic information. The expert technical advice provided will be used to support the technical assistance, and political direction provided by the activity to key government and non-government partners. The Capacity and Governance Technical Advisor reports directly to the COP and will provide technical, strategic, and programmatic direction for the development and implementation of HMIS aspects of the award.
S/he will lead project activities related to and implementation organizations in data use, data systems architecture, and health information systems governance. S/He will provide technical and strategic direction, leadership, and management oversight to ensure transfer of knowledge and skills to stakeholders across the health system. S/He will coordinate and liaise with stakeholders, including government agencies, other donor-funded projects, implementing partners, USAID and other donors, and data consumers ensure capacity is strengthened.
- A Master’s degree in information science, data science, public health, statistics, health informatics, governance, international development, or a related field
- At least 8 years of experience in working with information systems management and design in the health field for international donor funded programs (USAID preferred)
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in the fields of capacity building and governance for information systems, and using DHIS2
- At least 4 years of experience at a managerial or advisor level, providing guidance and supervision in implementation of strategies or methods
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English, including evidence of quality report writing and presen
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines with quality products
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to conceive of, plan, and lead HMIS strengthening activities that address the unique challenges of the central, provincial, district, facility, and community levels
- Ability to provide high-level HMIS technical leadership to multiple government directorates to achieve results
- Ability to find solutions to HMIS challenges that are acutely sensitive to human and other resource constraints in the health sector
- Ability to serve as a liaison with USAID, FMOH, and other key stakeholders in support of the activity
- Ability to lead HMIS change management activities at all levels
- Ethiopian national strongly preferred
- Fluency in Amharic and English; excellent written and presentation skills
About the Organization
The purpose of the Ethiopia Electronic Health Information System (e-HIS) project is to support the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH) in strengthening and modernizing the national Health Information System of Ethiopia. The project will involve supporting the government of Ethiopia to develop and bring to scale priority electronic health information systems, instill a culture of data use, build capacity and governance for the improved HIS, and ensure integrated systems by fostering stakeholder collaboration.
QED seeks a Capacity and Governance Technical Advisor for an anticipated USAID Ethiopia Health Information Systems (HIS) project. The expected purpose of the project is to improve the collection and use of high-quality routine information in the health sector and contribute to improved quality, efficiency and availability of primary health and nutrition services at all levels