Institutional Partnerships Program (IPP) commenced on 1 July 2018 to support the development of long-term institutional relationships between the Governments of Papua New Guinea (PNG) and Australia. IPP funds a broad range of capacity building support from the Australian Government to PNG counterparts, including long-term and short-term deployments of Australian Government personnel, formal training, study tours, group workshops and supported attendance at regional and international fora by PNG Government personnel.
The Capacity Building Adviser will provide a range of essential support, aligned with the strategic priorities of the Program including strengthening institutional relationships and capacity building. This will be achieved by helping immediate stakeholders, participating Government of Australia deployees and Government of PNG counterparts, to establish a mutual understanding of expectations and goals; base capacity building efforts on in-depth analysis of needs; support demand led capacity building; build on twinning efforts; plan, budget and implement capacity building support; involve senior participating staff to ensure the success of the institutional relationships; and take a long-term view of relationships based on mutual respect.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Participating in the diagnostic analysis of GoPNG counterpart agencies, to be undertaken with the support of the Abt PNG Management Services knowledge team;
- Establishing and implementing a budgeted work plan to build the capacity of IPP deployees and GoPNG counterparts;
- Providing capacity building training and mentoring to IPP deployees;
- Providing high quality advice to DFAT and others for all aspects of capacity building in a way that balances accountability, rigour and program flexibility.
The successful candidate will bring:
- Demonstrated minimum of 10 years’ professional experience in working with, training, coaching, mentoring and building capacity of national and international senior officials in the developing country context;
- Knowledge and experience of monitoring and evaluation methodology and systems;
- High level experience in working with senior officials in Papua New Guinea is essential;
- Diplomacy and negotiation skills that demonstrate ability to collaborate and coordinate with a range of stakeholders and their complex priorities;
- Exceptional analytical, written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated experience writing high quality articles, reports and/or professional documents;
- Experience developing and leading innovative capacity and organisational development technical training;
- Commitment to promoting diversity, gender equity and social inclusion.
For Further Information and Application Details
This position has been classified as Discipline C, Level 3 under the Adviser Remuneration Framework. Further information in regards to this opportunity can be found in the Position Description available from the Careers page of Abt Associate’s website at:
Go to ‘Apply Now’, ‘AUS/ UK Postings’ and search by Country for this and all vacancies in Papua New Guinea.
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associate’s website, and should include a current CV, cover letter and a response to the key selection criteria, including questions of due diligence.
The closing date for applications is Friday 27th July 2018 (midnight AEST)
We welcome and thank all applications, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About the Organization
About Abt Associates
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.