CAMRIS is an international development and research firm that realizes innovative solutions to development challenges through high-quality, cost-effective program and research management services. With experience working in more than 80 countries, we combine our proven systems with today’s most effective, evidence-based best practices to improve development outcomes. We apply a customized, customer-centric business approach to offer greater value to our clients.
Conflict Management Consulting (CMC) provides research, monitoring and evaluation, and technical assistance in challenging, conflict-affected and post-conflict areas. We work for international organizations, governments and civil society, deploying multinational and highly specialized teams of experts. Our staff offer in-depth thematic expertise in a number of areas, including on topics such as peacebuilding, stabilization, migration and social tensions/cohesion, and have served organizations across the Middle East, Europe, Africa and Asia.
CAMRIS and CMC seek an Amman, Jordan-based Capacity Building and CLA Specialist for the upcoming USAID Syria Accountability and Research Team (USAID/ART). This will be a three-year activity to support the USAID Middle East Bureau (MEB) Syria program in its overall monitoring, evaluation and research, and collaborating, learning and adapting (CLA) needs.
The USAID/ART mechanism has several key tasks:
* Support development and annual review of performance monitoring plans (PMPs), the PMP learning agenda, evaluation questions, and task calendars.
* Support development of a system for collecting, analyzing and reporting activity-level data from multiple implementing partners.
* Conduct third party monitoring in Syria to verify if activities are taking place or have been completed and whether the interventions are effective in meeting objectives.
* Review activity-level MEL plans submitted by implementing partners and provide USAID activity managers with recommendations to address weaknesses, inconsistencies, and/or misalignment of indicators, and ensure consistency with USAID policy.
* Design and conduct sectoral and thematic assessments, baseline studies, ad hoc studies and quarterly public opinion polling in Syria.
* Strengthen the capacity of USAID/MEB and implementing partner (IP) staff to effectively monitor and evaluate progress on USAID/MEB’s Syria program.
* Propose, design and assist implementation of a wide range of innovative methods to support USAID/MEB’s CLA needs. Assess baseline data collection plans and collected data, identifying gaps and proposing assessments, surveys, and other data gathering.
* Support planning and conduct of Data Quality Assessments (DQAs), including making site visits to implementing partner field offices.
* This position will be based in Amman, Jordan.
This position is contingent upon contract award.*
* Under the guidance of the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Technical Director, support USAID/MEB’s implementing partners (IPs) by providing technical assistance that improves capabilities to monitor and evaluate progress on USAID/MEB’s Syria stabilization program.
* Develop practices, processes, guidelines, and policies that support MEL, research and analysis (R&A), and CLA within the USAID/MEB portfolio and communicate a coherent story about USAID/MEB’s performance on stabilization in Syria.
* Facilitate USAID/MEB CLA activities including cross-office synergizing, collaboration across Development Objectives (DOs), engaging stakeholders, and making adaptation recommendations
* Create training programs and conduct learning seminars that include USAID, IP, and local partner personnel on topics such as managing evaluation, selecting appropriate evaluation methods, and/or collecting evaluation data, among others.
* Organize learning events that bring together USAID/MEB and IP staff, fostering collaboration on best-practices sharing.
* Support USAID/MEB’s CLA efforts by designing participatory approaches to setting a learning agenda, setting learning targets, and identifying processes and follow-on strategies for learning.
* Supervise external, short-term consultants.
* Provide relevant technical guidance.
* Conduct and facilitate pause and reflect sessions for the Mission.
* Build Mission staff capacity in MEL.
* Lead consultations on CLA with relevant USAID/MEB staff and IPs.
* Identify and execute appropriate agreed upon methodologies, field work, research, reporting and deliverables.
* Assist in the development of MEL communities of practice within USAID/MEB and among IPs.
* Assist USAID/MEB to develop and implement a learning agenda.
* Plan for learning and dissemination of lessons learned for use in Syria, and elsewhere in the Agency.
* At least seven years of professional experience managing a team conducting collaboration, learning, and adapting in a development context.
* A Master’s Degree in development studies, economics, international relations, statistics, demography, political science or related fields, or a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and five additional years of relevant professional experience noted above may be substituted.
* Demonstrated ability to build capacity and train staff in MEL and CLA.
* Understanding of scenario planning, and the use of scenarios/trajectories in program planning and adaptation preferred.
* Ability to innovate and adapt in all aspects of design, planning and implementation.
* Demonstrated ability to be collaborative, flexible, and creative.
* Excellent communications and interpersonal skills with evidence of ability to establish strong working relationships with diverse stakeholders.
* Evidence of open and learning-oriented management style.
* Proven success in leading highly collaborative, dynamic teams and managing change.
* Demonstrated experience in iterative, flexible, adaptive management of teams and projects.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required; native or professional fluency in Arabic desired.
In addition to applying for this position through the CAMRIS Career Website, interested candidates should also send their resumes to email@example.com.*
Local candidates are encouraged to apply.*