Job DescriptionRTI International is a research institute based in North Carolina, USA of approximately 5000 employees with 30 years of worldwide experience implementing international development projects in energy and other disciplines. We have extensive experience implementing a variety of projects worldwide focusing on legal/regulatory reform of the energy sector, improving energy efficiency, utility turnaround, raising private financing for energy infrastructure, working with governments on legal and regulatory reforms to alleviate bottlenecks, and increasing underserved populations’ access to energy.
RTI is seeking a Capacity Building Specialist (Senior Program Specialist 1) for the East Africa Energy Program (EAEP) under the Power Africa initiative by USAID. This position will provide technical leadership and strategic direction of the East Africa Energy Program in aspects related to institutional strengthening and technical capacity building of the of electrical utilities, regulators, and governments in East Africa as required to advance objectives of the EAEP under Power Africa.
• Conduct regular field visits to utilities, private firms, government institutions, regulators and employees to identify the capacity gaps existing and best modalities to fill them.
• Collaborate and create linkages with the industry, academic institutions and governments to ensure continued sharing of best practices & program sustainability.
• Organize and oversee the implementation of the regional annual training/capacity building, built from a participatory consultation in line with the priorities identified by regional and national partner institutions.
• Ensure the inclusion and consistency of capacity development plans in the programs for access to energy services and in the long-term regional energy program, particularly in relation to continuous performance improvement.
• Hold regular discussions with objective leads on training & capacity development needs & formulate strategies to successfully address them.
• Design & implement a capacity building package to develop a well-targeted scope of training modules for the energy sector in the region.
• Monitoring and follow up of all the training program participants to ensure performance improvement and value addition.
• Oversee and directly support MEL, tracking and development of utilities, private firms, government institutions, regulators and employees progress towards performance benchmarks and indicators ensure performance improvement and reporting.
• Provide mentorship and supervision to staff and consultants working on the capacity building component of the program.
• Carry out TNA, PTE and develop training curriculum and activity workplans
• Contribute to training logistics including budget estimates for various capacity building activities
• Any other duties that s/he may be assigned by project management from time to time.
Required minimum qualification and experience:
• Master’s or Bachelor’s Degree in economics, social sciences, management or education, public administration or a related field, preferably focused on capacity building.
• Masters degree and 6 years of experience or Bachelors Degree and 10 years of experience is required
• Direct work experience in developing countries as a senior expert in training and capacity building required. Preference for experience working in the energy sector.
• Demonstrated ability to design capacity building strategies based on clear needs identification and understanding of the operating context, and experience of working with Governments Institutions & donor community.
• Proven experience in development of interventions to improve quality, efficiency and sustainability of regional and local partners is desirable.
• Proven expertise in energy sector systems strengthening, management, and developing the functional capacity of organizations to improve sustainability and contribute to a vibrant, effective energy sector. Familiarity with a wide range of capacity building techniques.
• Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork, and planning skills, with proven ability to function effectively with multiple host country counterparts in both the public, private and local partners.
• Relevant experience implementing and managing energy sector training and technical assistance programs
• Ability to produce well written reports to tight deadlines
• Ability to manage and monitor a budget
• Project management experience
• Fluency in English required.
Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel
• Ability to multi-task
• Ability to work well with others
• Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing
• Ability to work independently
• Attention to detail and accuracy
About the OrganizationIDG Learning, Energy & Environment for Development