The vision of Norwegian People’s Aid is Solidarity in Action. We are a politically independent membership-based organisation working in Norway and in more than 35 countries around the world. Founded in 1939 as the labour movement’s humanitarian solidarity organisation, NPA aims to improve people’s living conditions and to create societies that are more just and more democratic. NPA’s international work covers three core areas: Humanitarian Disarmament, Democratisation and Just distribution of power and resources and Humanitarian Action and Crises Response.
Norwegian People’s Aid is seeking Capacity Development Advisors focus on Information Management for Somalia and Angola.
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to terrorize millions of people for decades to follow. Humanitarian Disarmament’s vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and other explosive remnants of war. Currently NPA has more than 22 Humanitarian Disarmament Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from explosive weapons?
NPA is a lead organization in developing capacities of National Mine Action Authorities (NMAAs). NPA builds upon the proven and successful experience of previous Capacity Development (CD) initiatives and projects, namely in Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Somalia and Angola. NPA brings the experiences of previous CD initiatives and projects under a single framework to provide a coordinated, scaled-up and comprehensive package of CD support required by the relevant NMAAs at the national and sub-national levels.
The main responsibilities of the CD Advisor focus on Information Management (IM) will be developing capacities of relevant NMAA staff to use national mine action database efficiently in order to continue their development of a functioning system to be used for planning and prioritizing.
Specific duties of the CD Advisor include:
- Conduct IM capacity assessment of NMAA if required, on national and state levels, provide recommendations and report, as baseline for further work
- Develop an IM work plan based on the assessment report
- Assist and follow up with NMAA in the implementation of the IM work plan and training plan
- Develop capacity of NMAA IM staff by conducting relevant IM trainings, workshops and on the job training
- Review current IM strategy, IM NMAS and IM SOP to be approved by NMAA in coordination with relevant stakeholders
- Lead in identifying IM processes, IM procedures, process mapping and writing of relevant guidelines
- Coordinate with and be focal point for stakeholders relevant for the project, most notably INGOs and LNGOs, on all matters related to IM/IMSMA
- Ensure all required hardware and software is in place in order for NMAA to conduct its mandated work in IM/IMSMA, and/or assess any needs not covered
- Ensure capacity development of NMAA staff is carried out in a manner that the IM unit of NMAA remain sustainable and independent of technical assistance by end of the project
- In dialog with NPA’s Global IM Advisor, assist in implementation, monitoring and management, with emphasis on relevance, quality, cost efficiency and impact.
- A University or college degree that includes studies in IT or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years of relevant international work experience
- IMSMA level 1 administrator qualified or equivalent
- Excellent knowledge in computer handling and data acquisition
- Experience of working with project management and/or Capacity Development
- Proficient in SharePoint, IMSMA NG6, ArcGIS and other related visualization tools
- Masters or equivalent
- IMSMA level 2 administrator qualified or equivalent
- Experience from working with National Authorities
- Previous experience with an NGO or UN agencies
- Experience from Humanitarian Disarmament operations
We are looking for someone with the experience and abililty to work independently, be proactive and make decisions as required. Good communication skills, cultural understanding, diplomacy and interpersonal skills is a prerequesite for being succesful in this position. Ability to work efficiently under pressure and meet set deadlines.
In return we offer:
An interesting, challenging work environment and a competitive salary package which includes country specific allowances. You will be covered by our comprehensive insurance scheme. We offer five weeks annual holiday plus one additional week off for expats. NPA provides three international flights home per contract year. We offer a one year contract with the possibility of renewal.
In general we emphasize the importance of strong health. One of NPA’s overall objectives is to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please note: Selection and interviews will take place continuously. The position could be filled before the closing date.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://www.npaid.org/Our-Work/Humanitarian-Disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
* Terms for annual leave follow the Norwegian Annual Holidays Act
** Terms apply according to NPA’s internal regulations
Please apply online as instructed on this website. Due to capacity reasons we are only able to process applications sent through our recruitment portal.
Desk Officer Africa
+ 47 905 03 390
Mohammed Qasim Hashimi
Global Information Management Advisor