FTF Inova is a five-year, $21M market-systems development (MSD) USAID-funded project launched in February 2017, with the aim of catalyzing innovations that will stimulate the agricultural market system in Mozambique to become more competitive and more inclusive of smallholder farmers. FTF Inova is interested in leveraging the scaling role that academia can play in promoting such innovation.
Therefore, FTF Inova has established a pilot partnership with Universidade Católica de Moçambique – Faculty of Engineering (UCM-FENG) based in Chimoio City, a higher education institution (HEI) devoted to senior training technicians, researchers and extension officers in the areas of agrarian sciences, agribusiness, food engineering, accounting & audits, economics and business administration, ICT, law, civil and mechanical engineering, and architecture. UCM-FENG offers both undergraduate and masters courses and manages a center (CITED) where students engage in research activities.
With FTF Inova support, UCM-FENG plans to create regular interaction platforms with the Agri firms (innovation club) where students from different courses can interact, and guest speakers from companies can give presentations, orient internships, and follow up on the university research. Published papers on the value that interns add to their host business could be used by the private sector for decision-making and encourage them to share some of the operating costs of the platform.
The objective of this pilot is to learn:
● What kinds of internship services is the private sector looking for, and what companies expect from a graduate
● If regular engagement with the private sector is an effective way for universities to channel feedback from the private sector to make their curriculum more relevant for the job market and attract firms to sponsor internships.
Thus, FTF Inova needs a highly skilled and experienced Fellow to help to build the capacity of UCM-FENG coordinators of internships to set up and manage the platform (innovation club).
Purpose of the Assignment
The main purpose of this assignment is to coach UCM Coordinators of Internships to develop the regular interaction platform with agri private firms (innovation club).
More specifically, the Consultant is expected to provide advice on:
● How to design, implement and promote the platform to the private sector
● How to market best internal talents/ develop a marketing strategy of the university in order to attract guest speakers and private companies to participate in job fairs and hire graduates
● How to organize and run job fairs and take opportunities arising from those events).
● Necessary tools: guides for guest speakers, guides for interns to explore opportunities from job fairs, data collection
● How to regularly track and assess the results of the programs/activities implemented through the innovation club -
● How to integrate lessons and recommendations taken from the platform activities in curriculum development.
● Formal and informal training materials and training notes covering the capacity-building and mentoring support to coordinators of the platform/internships;
● Marketing strategy developed for UCM platform;
● Support packages (guidelines and other tools) developed for the platform;
● Dialogue facilitation report; and
● Draft curriculum development proposal.
● Experience setting up similar platforms or career development center;
● Master’s degree in social work, counseling, psychology or similar subject; and
● Knowledge of the Portuguese Language
Skills and competencies
● Excellent Communication Skills
● Excellent Negotiation Skills
● Excellent Influencing Skills
● Excellent Facilitation Skills
● Strong Analytical skills
● Time Management
● Excellent Management Skills