Plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned project(s). This involves assessing beneficiary needs for cash and livelihood and NFIs (Non Food Items), supporting, leading and designing future projects and proposals, initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. The PM (Project Manager) will provide leadership, strategic direction and technical support to his/her team and liaise with stakeholders and potential donors. The PM will be responsible for the assessments, selection and registration of beneficiaries in line with the appropriate working groups and clusters in Iraq.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din. Projects include Health, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and WASH. The Iraq programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Erbil with work location in Kirkuk, Iraq. Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
September 2018. Full time, 12 months
Key Activity Areas
Strategic Leadership, Project and People Management
- Continuously monitor/supervise project activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts.
- Build the capacity of the project team to ensure efficient and timely implementation of the project activities and objectives.
- Provide strong leadership, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local staff.
- Contribute to development and implementation of an appropriate and effective strategy.
- Lead and advise on Medair’s national cash strategy for Iraq across several sub-offices.
- Develop, design and write new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps.
- Line-manage staff, including day-to-day management, recruitment, development and training, performance reviews, etc. It may also be necessary to line manage other project staff.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision in order to develop ownership and full responsibility.
- Become familiar with the CASH, Shelter and NFIs sector trends in Iraq, and with the different actors and areas of operation for effective planning and coordination.
- Conduct market assessments and reports in areas of operation.
- Develop intervention activities relevant to the local context utilizing findings from needs assessments.
- Monitor the data collection related to beneficiaries, Medair’s selection of households.
- Ensure effective systems regarding database management and security are in place and maintained.
- Continue to expand and improve IM collection, implementation and integration.
- Manage the budget and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
- Ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Ensure projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and CHS standards.
External Engagement and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures.
- Engage and collaborate with the various stakeholders at the cash working group level, CaLP, Shelter Cluster, and various relevant working groups, ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings.
- Represent Medair with appropriate working groups, clusters, UN, and other stakeholders.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University or College degree in a relevant field.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 5 years post-qualification professional experience with at least 2 year project management experience in relevant context. Experience working in humanitarian context.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, particularly in Excel and/or Access or other database skills.
- Experience in training staff. Strong management skills. Problem solving ability.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and CHS Standards.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Able to prioritise clearly, oversee multiple tasks take the initiative in project decisions, enforce procedures, set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.