CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.”
CARE seeks communications officer and writer for the Office of the President and CEO of CARE USA. This position specifically serves as the principal communications specialist and writer for Michelle Nunn.
Core components of the role:
- Developing thought leadership strategy (CEO profile and voice)
- Development and refinement of CEO tone of voice across all content and subject matters including how these relate to the CARE master brand and specific issue areas such as gender and equality.
- Support of public speaking engagements, both internal and external to CARE, follow up notes and letters and introductory written communications or talking points. Primarily on behalf of CEO but also for other key leadership including board chair, COO etc.
- Support of media, social media and email channels including regular blog posts and content for external and internal audiences
- Oversee all CEO correspondence including thank you notes and responding to enquiries and invites for events as well as sending out well framed requests
This individual will be required to seek the expertise of various subject matter experts within CARE to ensure that the remarks given by CEO are timely and facts, statistics and anecdotal information are verified and up to date.
This individual must demonstrate an understanding of CARE’s sector and our mission, vision, focus and work to develop an exceptional understanding of CEO’s preferred written and spoken style. S/he will also become familiar with the general work that CARE does across sectors in furtherance of its mission to eliminate extreme poverty and social injustice worldwide.
- This individual will have support from the Exec Director, Media Relations when preparing any remarks for media opportunities.
- This individual will also manage external speech-writers and freelancers brought in to support key events when this is deemed necessary due to the profile of the opportunity.
- This role will work closely with: Chief of Staff, Internal Communications Co-Ordinator, Senior Advisor to the President and CEO, Executive Director Media Relations and others relevant to the subject matter in hand including program team experts and country office leaders and regional executives.
- Oversee CEO Correspondence
- Support of Public Speaking engagements (Internal and Expternal)
- Oversight and Day to Day Managment of CEO blog and Social Media Channels
- Development and refinement of CEO Tone of Voice and Thought Leadership Areas
- Public engagements and appearances
- Support of relevant CEO travel to help with content capture and preparing remarks, as well as real time social media posts.
- Undergraduate Degree
- Digital native
- Background research
- Create an argument and set of ideas
- Excellent written skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Passionate about CARE’s work and our mission, and gender issues
- Passionate about social media and avid news hound
- Some background on development and humanitarian issues
- Eager to learn and has strong drive to develop and excel in a career with CARE
- Skilled in Ideation
- 5 years speech writing experience
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.