Global Communities is seeking a Chief Accounting Officer/Controller to join the Finance team at the headquarters in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland.
The Chief Accounting Officer/Controller directs the financial affairs of the organization and prepares financial analyses of operations. S/he is responsible for the company’s accounting practices, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports.
1. Works collaboratively with the CFO in managing corporate-wide financial positions and financial risk management.
* Researches best practices related to corporate liability, risk assessment and management of off-shore loan programs. Proposes new directions for corporate management of these areas.
* Manages demands upon the corporation’s restructure and unrestricted funds.
* Shares information on recent decisions by federal bodies impacting application of OMB Circulars, the FAR, OFAC reporting, and A-133 matters.
2. Reviews monthly financial statements and makes recommendations.
* Monitors indirect costs of the organization.
* Ensures compliance with Global Communities’ donors’ report requirements.
3. Coordinates and directs the preparation of the program budget and financial forecasts, institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures (including the project cost accounting system). Maintains the company’s system of accounts and keeps books and records on all company transactions and assets.
4. Coordinates with program and field staff on the GAAP recording of financial transactions.
5. Manages the monthly closing process, review journal entries, accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank and asset reconciliation.
6. Develops, analyzes, and interprets accounting information. Furnishes internal reports, revises and updates reports to be more useful and efficient, and furnishes external reports as necessary.
7. Supervises the work of assigned work group/team.
* Prioritizes, organizes, distributes, and coordinates the flow of work.
* Trains, guides, and advises staff.
* Ensures that Standards of Conduct, the Employee Handbook, and other corporate and applicable policies, procedures, and schedules are adhered to.
* Makes recommendations concerning employment, termination, performance appraisals, salary actions, and other personnel actions.
* Resolves routine operating problems as they arise.
8. Assists with and/or coordinates various internal and external audits. Follows up with Field Offices on action plans to correct audit findings.
9. Overseas Global Communities subsidiaries financial.
10. Undertakes all other duties and projects as may be assigned from time to time.
* Advanced knowledge of accounting principles in a non-profit environment. Advanced knowledge of accounting software (Solomon and Quickbooks).
* Excellent critical thinking skills and sound judgment. Proven willingness to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate judgment.
* Ability to work effectively in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressure.
* Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
* Fluency in English, written and oral. Abilities in a second language, specifically Arabic or Spanish preferred.
* Demonstrated ability to organize and lead the work of others in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
* Proven ability to effectively use databases spreadsheet, word processing, and position-specific software.
* Accuracy and attention to detail.
* A Master’s degree and a minimum of 13 years of relevant and progressively responsible Accounting experience or a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 15 years of stated experience.
* Equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Prior supervisory experience, experience with accounting software (Solomon and Quickbooks), and experience creating and managing a budget.
* Experience working for an international NGO preferred.
* CPA preferred.
* Must have U.S. work authorization.
Global Communities is an equl opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. EOE/AA - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individual with Disabilities.