What You’ll Do as Chief Financial Officer
Job Summary: Based remotely, the CFO will lead the finance team based in Lagos, Nigeria, reporting directly to the CEO. The CFO will re-design, build and lead data-driven, financial control and risk management systems. The successful candidate will have entrepreneurial leadership experience in a supply chain and logistics-intensive organization that has leveraged digital transformation to rapidly scale.
Finance Strategy and Risk Management
- Develop and continuously iterate the organization’s fundraising and financial control and risk management strategy by liaising with key operational leaders to identify gaps and propose solutions.
- Lead risk management by analyzing the organization’s liabilities and investments.
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems and ensure that record-keeping meets all requirements of external auditors and government authorities.
- Report risk issues to the Finance & Audit Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Lead all operations including but not limited to Corporate Finance, Financial Control, Audit, Treasury & Finance Operations, Tax and Financial Planning & Analysis.
- Working with Babban Gona Labs, oversee the development and implementation of a digital transformation strategy to accelerate the scalability of the Babban Gona model, while improving our risk management and financial controls.
- Lead all relevant 3rd party relationships including investors, banking relationships, auditors, etc.
- Ensure that the organization has strong control systems with clear policy violation guidelines.
- Build, develop, evaluate and retain a highly-qualified team of finance professionals.
Leadership and Team Development
- Foster a culture of transparency and accountability in the Finance department.
- Create, implement and maintain a continuous improvement and control plan for overall business operations, while supporting the finance teams to meet their goals.
- Develop and maintain a plan that provides for succession and continuity in the critical Finance positions.
Implementing and Scaling Financial Controls and Risk Management Systems in Supply Chain/Logistics
- Leverage a digital transformation strategy to accelerate rapid scale, while maintaining strong financial controls and risk management systems.
Built a Platform to Channel Large Amounts of Capital to SMEs
- Work with third-party organizations to unlock over $100 million in capital to SMEs, leveraging digital solutions.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, start-up environment with dynamic business priorities.
Detailed Orientation and Managing Complexity
- Extensive experience leading a complex organization with a passion for getting into details to identify root causes of issues to create innovative solutions.
Work Remotely from Current Base
Babban Gona currently operates a decentralized model with 10 offices spread across Nigeria. The role can be based remotely. The candidate would be expected to be accessible by their team via video conference during normal working hours in Lagos Nigeria from 9 am – 6 pm GMT+1.
Travel 20% of Time to Nigeria
This role requires an estimated 2 – 3 weeks of travel per quarter to Lagos, Nigeria with limited travel to Northern Nigeria and may require travel to partner sites across the globe.
About the Organization
Who We Are
Babban Gona is an award-winning, high impact, financially sustainable and highly scalable social enterprise, part-owned by the farmers we serve. Babban Gona was created to specifically attract youth to agriculture and away from the looming instability of extremist groups.
We accomplish this by franchising thousands of farmer cooperatives across Nigeria, dramatically increasing the profitability of the smallholder members 2.5 times above the national average. This dramatic increase in net income is accomplished by delivering an integrated holistic package of training, farm inputs and marketing services on credit. Babban Gona has been able to deliver this credit while maintaining one of the highest repayment rates in the world, currently above 99%, leveraging our comprehensive 8 levels of risk mitigation.
We developed the model with our partners that include His Highness Muhammad Sanusi II, the Sarkin (Emir) Kano, Nestle, IITA, DfID, USAID, GIZ, AGRA, BMGF, Skoll, Kiva, FMCB, Mulago, GIF and Rockefeller Foundation amongst others.